DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know alot of you are running Magnaflow cat backs and converters and seem to like them. I was wondering if anyone is running the magnaflow y-pipe and converter (part#23285)? If any of you are running it let me know what you think. Is the performance worth it and will it fit 4x4?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Robob16, just bought that exact setup from Summit Racing for my 2000 5.9L Ram. Hope to install it by the weekend. Will let you know how it works out!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Finally got the Y-pipe cat converter setup put on today (Tuesday). A minor problem set me back a few days. Initial impressions are that the setup gave me a slight increase in power off idle up to 2000. Above 2000 rpm (approx) seems to be where I got the biggest gain. The truck is now quieter at idle and low speeds (below 2000 rpm). Much of the rumble at idle that the flowmaster cat back system gave me is gone. Much closer to stock sound at idle. Keep in mind these impressions are from inside the truck so I don't know if the sound quality or level has changed outside the truck. Actually a little disappointed since I liked how the truck rumbled before. Oh well! :bawl: In return the truck sounds a little louder above 2000 rpm when I get on it. As for higher rpm power it's hard to tell. Am planning on going to the strip Friday if the weather is decent. If it's hot I will not go. Will wait for a better day with good air. Also, I haven't checked my gas mileage lately, may try to do this until Friday. The system was really easy to install. Getting the old system off however, was a real bear! Will give additional comments as they come in.

·
Jake The Snake
371 Posts
I just bought the sytem too, its on backorder from summitracing, it made your truck quiet?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hieneken49, I'm surprised that the system is on backorder. I just bought mine a week ago today and they had a bunch of them. They (Summit) had just gotten a shipment of them the day before. Unless they are a hot commodity! After having it on for several days now I can say that the truck is slightly quieter at idle than what it was before. Less rumble. I'm not comparing to a totally stock truck, I'm comparing to the way it was before I bolted on the Magnaflow system. That is, with the Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back system. I tested at the drags last night and the truck has slowed down from previous runs. I'm not blaming that on the Magnaflow system. There is apparently something else that is slowing my truck down that I have yet to identify. I may start a seperate post on the subject.

·
Jake The Snake
371 Posts
yea they backordered it till the 10th. wow, i hope its not the cat that is giving you trouble, i have the flowmaster cat back system too. i like the rumble it has.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No, I do not believe that it is the cat that's causing the slowdown. That started before I even installed the Magnaflow. But if you like the rumble of your truck like I did, it will change. The sound still isn't bad, but that rumble at idle was priceless. I got a whole lot of compliments about it. Incidentally, for anybody reading these post's, that system is supposed to be for 1999 and older Rams but it fit my 2000 just fine. The difference is that now I have both head pipes running into the cat instead of into a Y-section and a single pipe ino the cat.

·
Jake The Snake
371 Posts
Well im probably gonna lose the muffler all together so im sure ill get a rumble back :)

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I have the American Thunder cat back on my 96 5.2. I put a catco converter on it and the tone was deeper. Rumbles real good. I have heard some negatives on the catco but mune is OK after 2 years. It was the bolt on complete from manifolds to muffler. :gr_patrio

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.