DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Unless you carry a portable DB monitor you will not notice a difference. They are all good CAT backs, but for the money you are better off going with the MBRP. Banks is way over priced. Magnaflow isn't too bad, but like I said they all sound the same to me, especailly the CAT backs....

Carlos J.

·
Registered
576 Posts
IMO its not worth buying those setups. I say just buy a muffler or even just a straight pipe if you want real noise. Besides, your 2006 already has 4" pipe from the turbo, its not really going to make that much of a diffrence with anything bigger from the cat. Many here prefer the MBRP mufflers though. I have a Banks for the winter and straight for the summer.

·
Registered
852 Posts
MSHarnett said:
IMO its not worth buying those setups. I say just buy a muffler or even just a straight pipe if you want real noise. Besides, your 2006 already has 4" pipe from the turbo, its not really going to make that much of a diffrence with anything bigger from the cat. Many here prefer the MBRP mufflers though. I have a Banks for the winter and straight for the summer.

I agree, on my 05 CTD I first removed the CAT and left the muffler. It sounded great. The I decided to go with a 5" Magnaflow turbo back. I didn't like it one bit. It was alot louder in the cab, and I didn't like that way it sounded during cold start ups...

Now on my 06' I again removed the CAT and left the muffler. I have a 4" chrome down tip and that all I am going to do to the exhaust. Accompanied by a AFE stage II CAI, and no silencer ring on the turbo... :drivingz:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just installed the mbrp cat back, well the replacment muffler mk96116 Complete bolt in for the DIY'er, and it rocks. start up is just a little deeper, not any louder. off idle it has a deep tone that lets people know you got a diesel. Inside the cab, on it hard you can hear it and it sounds great, at cruising speeds, it sounds stock inside. I was looking for an exhaust that would set me apart from all the other diesels, but wasnt going to make me stand out to the fuzz. I actually ended up calling customer suport with a question, and they were eger to help me. I would recomend MBRP based on my experience and the recomendations i recieved from fellow dodgetalkers. Took about an hour with a sazall and a BFH

I also removed my silencing ring and made a home depot intake to delete the velocity stack or whatever the heck they call that baffle tube. turbo sings now, it is great.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I also highly recommend the MBRP system. I have the replacement muffler (MK96116) that pooperscooper talks about. Although this item would not work for you without some modifications. Yours being a Mega Cab there is a resonator on the tailpipe behind the muffler...this will create a problem for the MK96116 upon normal install. I'm sure that you can make it work, but how much trouble is it and how valuable is your time? May be wise to just go ahead and do the cat back system and be done with it. Then that way you do get rid of the resonator with the free flowing system.

All brands are good, but I believe MBRP is the only way to go. I've personally had two systems on two different trucks and have many, many friends with them as well. The sound quality is awesome without having to sacrifice the interior sound. Normal driving is around the same inside the cab with the sound being outside for others to admire. When you want to hear this system...SHE WILL TALK! Do your research on all brands. I'm sure that you can't go wrong with any of them. Just letting you have some first hand experience for you to ponder.

Good luck in making your decision.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great, thanks everybody.
Now help me out here... What makes up the stock exhaust? When I look under my truck I see the cat (up front)then what looks like a large oval muffler, then right after that basically behind the rear wheel, looks like another small round muffler. Can someone explain?

·
Registered
254 Posts
The Mega Cabs are the only ones that have the resonator on the tail pipes. I assume they did that because of the added cab space and of course the bigger the cab the more prone it is to resonance. All of these diesels are getting so quiet, so they've got to keep the exhaust quiet as well.

·
Registered
576 Posts
My 04 and 01 didn't have it. It must be for the newer trucks, 05/06

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
My 07 has no resonator.
I had a Magnaflow muffler on my 03. It was nice and rumbly at low rpms and got loud when you stepped on it. I wanted more noise so
I got an MBRP muffler and really liked it too. Nice and loud all the time.
On this truck I went straight for the muffler delete pipe and left the cat in. This is by far the best sounding setup I have run which also includes SPing the 03 which had no cat. This current setup just sounds like SP but quieter. I love the way it sounds! I have no plans on changing anything else except maybe rigging a 5" tailpipe on it just for the looks.....
Did I mention it sounds Awesome?!?!?! :rck:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.