DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
checkout this magnum their selling on ebay,nice hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
I believe that is the stock hood with a cutout for the intake. I am not sure if it is functional though. If it were functional would they still needt the intake/filter behind hte driver's side headlamp?

·
Dodge User
1,213 Posts
doesnt look that functional to me

·
Registered
164 Posts
Uhhhhhh...I don't see how that could possibly be functional. That is a nice looking shaker hood but it would have to cover that Airaid box to divert outside air into it.

Unless there is something that can't be seen someone sold you a fake funtional shaker hood.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ok wait. I kinda get an idea of what a shaker hood is but can someone descibe exactly what is a shaker hood? and what sort of performance gains does someone get?

·
Registered
92 Posts
blackarmy said:
Ok wait. I kinda get an idea of what a shaker hood is but can someone descibe exactly what is a shaker hood? and what sort of performance gains does someone get?
The Shaker hood was made popular in the early 70's on the Cuda and Challenger. It was a piece that attached to the air cleaner that "rammed air" down the carburetor, providing additional horsepower. Carburetor's were the device that fed gas and air to the engine. I work with a guy that had never seen a carburetor, so that is why I said that.

The Shaker part came to be that when the engine idles, the scoop that protruded through the hood would move with the engine, thus Shaking.

Ford also used this on the Mustang and Torino

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its possible that it is funtional,the shacker looks to be directing air from the two openings into the air box.the air box needs to be sealed on the top to get better air induction(air induction aah reminds me of my ss chevelle daze)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't see it. How would the air get into any hoodtop plumbing? I know that some of the hoods with scoops mounted on them have ducting but since the shaker is mounted on the engine how would teh air get to the air filter?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
look at the shiney black part in front of the scoop. thats channeling air from the scoop to the air box.the scoop is atached to the hollow induction system(love that word induction)that shiny black thing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Slappy I don't think your seeing that pic to well. Under that shiney thingy that is attached to the Shaker is the tube from the Airaid filter. You can see the tube attached to the filter. So there is no air going into the engine from there. That shiny thing would have to cover the Airaid filter in order to direct air to the filter.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
diamondrmp,
They make a cover for that box to go from the"shiny thing" over the air box making the shaker functional,that is what I said earlier and what Slappy has been trying to say.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Call me stupid but that shiny plastic thing ENDS at the box and is LOWER than the hood seal around the Airaid box. I cannot see how first off anything else can fit over the Airaid box without banging into the hood. That rubber SEAL around the Airaid box is to seal it against the hood. To seal it against the hood means NOTHING can fit OVER the box. Enlighten me on how it can go over the Airaid box? I have seen that Airaid intake on a Magnum Hemi and believe me NO cover is going to fit over it with the hood down! Also how would this cover stay fixed on the Airaid box?

Now are you saying that the shaker hood comes with its OWN intake? If so then I am mistaken. But that picture clearly shows the Shaker hood with an Airaid intake.

I'm not trying to start an argument. I am just absolutely perplexed on how that could possibly have a cover to go over that box.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I did not say this particular box was functional,I Said I have seen this set-up with a functional shaker scoop.I personally don't like the way they look on the Magnum.My taste leans more toward the sleeper look,no big tells!

·
Registered
205 Posts
That one does look functional (though pretty inefficient)

I still don't think that Slappy posted is functional.

I do think they look good though.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i give up!

·
Registered
164 Posts
LOL...I just love being a part of this dodge site. I misunderstood. But I still say even that other one isn't functional. Look at it. There is just a piece of plastic over PART of the CLOSED stock intake box. Its kind of like the big cover over our Hemi engines. Its just for looks!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Ok,
Everyone agrees that the first one is not functional,it was never about the first one being functional,no one ever said the first one was functional,at this point I'm with Slappy,I GIVE UP!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.