DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Be Cool!
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use Mag-Hytec diff and tranny covers? I especially like the idea of the tranny pan, as I've heard this generation of Dodge may come with a poor transmission (mine's fine so far). These covers apparently allow more fluid to swirl around the gears and keep them cooler. They also have magnets that grab bits of metal. Plus, they also look good. Any thoughts?

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
I had the diff cover on my (former) 98 and it was awesome !

had a magnetic dipstick, so you could not only EASILY tell how much fluid was in the diff, but if something bad happened, the little chucks of metal would have attached themselves to the dipstick

WELL worth the cash, IMHO

Attachments

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Mag-Hytech tranny pans are a very nice piece,they have one heck of a drain plug(BIG)! :D

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
I think they are probably one of the best pans and covers on the market, but kinda overpriced. Other trans pans come with all the same goodies, and for less $$$. But, if you can find a good deal on a Mag-Hytec like dorelse did, then definetly go for it. You can rest assured it will be a quality pan or cover.

·
Be Cool!
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your help, guys. I think I'll order the rear diff cover in the next month or so, and have it installed when the Detroit Truetrac is installed. The tranny pan sounds even better, maybe that one will wait till my next transmission service. I just had the tranny flushed a couple days ago, so that one will be a while.

Thanks for the pictures!

Nice truck, silver!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the diff cover and tranny pan on my 96. Very nice pieces and I have a temp sender in the cover and pan from when I used to tow my camper. I have a CTD dually to tow with now and I want to get a MagHytec cover for the D80 just because...

·
Be Cool!
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You've got a point, Silver. Doing an Internet search, I've discovered PML diff covers are $30 cheaper, and seem to have all the same features as the Mag-Hytec. As I'm having it shipped to Canada, that does add up. I'll probably go with the PML.

·
Mike
276 Posts
Price is not too bad I guess. They sure look nice and Im bettin the gear cover does not leak like the piece of shit mopar chrome one. I hate that thing. Never buy a mopar gear cover!!

The reason why I say that is strictly becauce of the fill hole. The screw that comes in the kit does not have a stop or any shoulders on it so you cannot get it tight. If you over tighten the screw will go into the cover to far so you really never know where to stop turning.

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/MagHytec_transmissionpans.htm
http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/MagHytec_differentialcovers.htm

·
Registered
118 Posts
MCT, the drain plug may be NPT? Tapered threads so there isn't a shoulder and should stop because the bolt diameter get's larger as you thread it in. That's the way most stock diff plugs are. Lightning, check some of the posts around about tranny pans. There was one that Tracman I think had where mentions (might have been PML) another manufacturer. I believe silver runs the same one. Also, many here have temp gauges for trans fluid to warn you of an over heat condition. Especially good idea if you tow anything. One of the mods on the list of summer projects for me. I had a 97 4x4 ext cab short bed with the 5.2 and auto in it and it had 150K on it with no apparent problems. Got it with 70K on it and I think the guy before me took pretty good care of it. My new one...not so sure... :WHT:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the Mag-HyTec trans and differential pans and love them. The trans pan seems to work great as far as helping the trans stay cool. I've got a '99 Ram 2500 Cummins, 2WD, auto and when I pulled my travel trailer (29 footer approx. 9,000 total pounds) trans temp never exceeded 125 degrees fahrenheit at 65-70mph. Don't have a temp gauge on the diff but you gotta figure the extra fluid certainly helps - plus the cover DOESN'T LEAK, and looks sharp! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm getting my Mag-Hytec differential covers installed today with my gears. I will let you know what I think of them.

·
Be Cool!
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking forward to hearing your reaction to them. I just bought a diff cover off eBay, about $70 cheaper than Mag-Hytec, and seems to have all the features. It's in another post of mine, in this section. Let us know!

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Happy with my PML tranny pan - awesome customer service and outstanding product.
I looked at the one made by Mag-Hytec but I thought it was a little over priced (about $40 more than the PML with shipping).
I don't need any bling under the truck so I got a bare aluminum from PML and painted it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
They are great - I love mine. I already used the dip sticks to check fluid level after the gear install. I did have to add a little and even that was easy.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Them there are some BIG pics!

·
Urban Wheeler
415 Posts
Is 2 qts. extra capcity enough for towing and really hard use? I know I've seen 4 qt extra pans too. Is 4 qts extra too much for a Canadian (EHHhhh) winter? :can_pat:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.