Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Northeast DDRC Webmaster
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few questions:

How much are they new? What's a good deal?

What are the horsepower gains?

Are there any alternates that are better/worse?

Will it change the position of the intake?

How close does it come to the top of the hood?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The single plane M1 is the same height as the stock intake.

There are not really many alternatives. Huges engines offers ported stockers with modifed runners. There are not a lot of people who have gone that route. It is touted to keep the low end HP and torque. The single plane M1 is more of a racing intake with shorter runners so it makes more HP in the higher rpms. Some feel low end torque loss with the M1 alone. The dual plane M1 has even shorter runners and is better suited for motors making 400+ HP. The dual plane also requires minor modifications to install it.

You list a custom intake. What is it?

I don't know how much they are currently going for. I believe 350+ plus the install kit which is an additional 50 or so.

Talk to Dan Arcand. He'll set you up with everthing and tell you all you need to know. http://www.thefastman.com/

·
Registered
243 Posts
I ordered my M1 through Sam at SoCal Dakota. It was $455 shipped UPS Ground (it was drop shipped from Florida) and included all the gaskets and install kit and EGR block off.

·
unRegistered Dog
2,134 Posts
Neil F. said:
The single plane M1 is the same height as the stock intake.

There are not really many alternatives. Huges engines offers ported stockers with modifed runners. There are not a lot of people who have gone that route. It is touted to keep the low end HP and torque. The single plane M1 is more of a racing intake with shorter runners so it makes more HP in the higher rpms. Some feel low end torque loss with the M1 alone. The dual plane M1 has even shorter runners and is better suited for motors making 400+ HP. The dual plane also requires minor modifications to install it.

You list a custom intake. What is it?

I don't know how much they are currently going for. I believe 350+ plus the install kit which is an additional 50 or so.

Talk to Dan Arcand. He'll set you up with everthing and tell you all you need to know. http://www.thefastman.com/
I didn't think there was a dual plane M1 for the MPI. The only version I've seen is a dual plane M1 for carburetor. Or are you talking about modifying the carburated one by drilling holes and welding bungs on for the injectors?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
No there is a fuel injected one. A number of people are running them. John Warnet aka Durango Dude here has one.

·
unRegistered Dog
2,134 Posts
Hmmmm. Do you have the part #? Dual plane should keep low end torque.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
No. E-mail John but as I said, it takes a little work to get it to fit and it is not the best application for a stock engine. The runners are shorter than the single plane so it needs even higher rpms.

·
unRegistered Dog
2,134 Posts
I just went to Mopar.com and looked through the 2005 catalog. I still don't see a dual plane for MPI but I guess I'm not going to be able to get away with using a M1 anyways. There is a disclaimer at the bottom that answered a question I've had for awhile they aren't smog legal and I don't want to go through removing it every 2 years for smog. I use to pull the engine in my 69 Camaro every 2 years and put the stock one back in before it was smog exempt. What a pain that was. I guess I'll just polish and port maybe shorten the runners the second beer barrel I have in the garage and call it good at least it will look stock from the outside.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Yea I hear how much of a PITA CA is. I know a few people who have gotten away with the CA visual inspection with a M1 installed.

·
unRegistered Dog
2,134 Posts
The last time I went in they made me take my cold air intake off since it didn't have a CARB number. Sometimes I really hate CA.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Sometimes? That kind of crap every two years would make me hate it year round. Who cares what is under the hood, as long as what comes out meets standards. That's the way NJ handles it.

·
unRegistered Dog
2,134 Posts
Neil F. said:
Sometimes? That kind of crap every two years would make me hate it year round. Who cares what is under the hood, as long as what comes out meets standards. That's the way NJ handles it.
Some of the smog laws I just don't under stand. I ran my 69 on the smog machine one time with my other motor in it just to see what the difference in readings would be and it ran a lot cleaner then the smog legal one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.