DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, when the time comes to replace the stock BFGs, I'll be looking to replace with a M/T tire (after I change out my control arms, of course). Which one you ask? If I knew, I wouldn't be pulling my hair out! I'm probably going to go to a 34", or 35" tire (weight and tread life dependent). So I'm asking for your opinions on what works and what doesn't work. I'd like first person, actual experiences. None of these "My cousin's uncle's best friend ran these and said they were..." stories. The stock BFG A/T KOs just don't cut it when it comes to mud. I might as well have racing slicks attached...

The tires will see pavement, mud, dirt, gravel, snow, ice and rain. I doubt I'll be running into any sand anytime soon in Indiana, so no worries there. That being said, I need a GOOD all around tire. Preferably on the quieter side, too. I've owned the Cooper Discoverer STTs before and I did like those. However, I'm always up to try other/better options that might be out there. I like the Looks of the BFG KM2 and the Goodyear MT/R with Kevlars, but I'm worried about tread life on them, especially on a 6,700 pound truck. I'd like to get close 40,000 miles out the tire before replacement.

My three BIG goals are:

1. Good tread life with good traction
2. Road noise
3. Tire weight

These are the tires I've looked into so far:
Hankook Dynapro MT
BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2
Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar
Cooper Discoverer STT
Nitto Trail Grappler
Toyo Open Country MT - too heavy for a daily driver
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac - had them on the Titan and enjoyed them. I might look into these again.

If you've read this far, I thank you and look forward to your comments. Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have KM2's on my truck and love them. They have done very well so far, I have about 20k miles on them and will probably get 10-15k more miles on them just guessing.

I have DuraTracs on my work truck, and they seem to do pretty good as well. They are a lot less aggressive as far as mud tires are concerned, but they are quieter on the road.

·
^BIG D^
2,283 Posts
I am currently running 33" Firestone Destination MT's on my Durango, and while it's a much lighter vehicle, I have not been disappointed with them one bit. I have had them for 4 years, and have about 35k miles on them. They are a little less then half tread, but seem to wear faster now they are past the half tread point. I expect another 10k out of them easy. They are decently quite on the road, and really perform well off road in any situation/terrain. I run them about 85% highway, but hold trust in them whenever I decide to turn off the main path. These tires are also really great in deep snow. Ice traction on any MT is not going to be as good as a studded, sipped tire that was made for ice, but the Destination MT's have had better traction then ANY a/t that I have used.

However, with that being said, the BFG KM2's will be my next tire choice (and also on my PW when I finally get one). I do not have personal experience with them, but they have better ratings then the Firestone Destination's according to tirerack.com.

·
Cali Wagon Wheeler
1,307 Posts
These are the tires I've looked into so far:
Hankook Dynapro MT - No first hand experience, hit up CL82WD on TT, he has a set
BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2 - Didn't like them, felt weird, traded them for a set of A/T's
Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar - You will be luck to get 30,000 miles out of a set, very soft compound
Cooper Discoverer STT -No first hand experience
Nitto Trail Grappler - No first hand experience
Toyo Open Country MT - Absolutely love them, I have gotten 50,000 miles out of previous sets. This is the only tire I will buy for my trucks that see dirt. They are quiet on the road as well, compared to other true M/T's.
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac - Very good in snow and ice

·
Registered
550 Posts
Stay WAY AWAY from Handcraps Dynajunks.. they are terrible. They were impossible to balance, Discount tire put on two sets, first set was only on my 06 for 1K miles and they were already worn 5/32s.... second set wouldn't balance either... so they replaced with KM2s... they lasted 80K+ ..... I still had another 15-25K on them when I traded it in.... key to longevity is run 5 wheels/tires... I always get in access of 80K out of each set if you rotate 5 wheels every 6K miles.

My votes would be 1. Nitto Trail Grappler Mt (what I have now and they are awesome... they remind me of the old BFG muds) these were also the cheapest... I've got the 34.6" 295X18's
2. BFG KM2 very long lasting great ride on and off road
3. Toyos--- very expensive and very heavy, but are good offroad, I haven't ran them, but my wheeling buddy has a set and they do good.
4. everything else???? I wouldn't waste my money..
5. then below whale crap.... Hancraps....

·
Registered
9,006 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just me thinking here, but feel free to chime in...

The Nitto Trail Grappler, Toyo Open Country MT and Cooper Discoverer STT all look to be the same basic tire design. Tread pattern on all of them looks to be nearly identical, with just the sidewalls differing from one another. I'd imagine the traction between these tires would be very similar (which might not be a bad thing).

The BF Goodrich M/T KM2s intrigue me by their design. I'm not sure what it is, maybe the Krawler influence, but I like them. The only thing that concerns me is how they would come into play with ice. Probably need to be siped to help out there.

The Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar just looks AWESOME to me. However, their soft compound and HIGH price tag is not appealing. Very unique design and a price that reflects it......

I swear, I'm going to be completely bald by the time I end up buying a set....:grum:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I vote NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLERS! If I get into a Power Wagon a new set of NITTO's will be included in the price of the rig. They are awesome for what they allow both on road and off. Just get 5 like already stated and rotate them at every 5,000 miles... They will last allot longer on the set!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have the Nitto Trail Grapplers and love them but im in a half ton. I believe they have a 40K mile guarantee! I only have about 8K on mine so wear is very minimal. Road noise is very low for the 295/70/17's that im running! I see huge trucks everyday that do oil field work and 50% of them are running these tires... must be for a reason!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are the other 50% running?.....:thatfunny

I can't find any tire weights for the Nitto Trail Grapplers....

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

Use this a a basis for your wanted size.....

Specifications
Tire: Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
Size: 35x12.50xR18
Type: Radial
Load range: E
Max load: (lb @ psi): 3,415 @ 65
Sidewall: Three-ply polyester
Tread: Three-ply polyester, two-ply steel, two-ply nylon
Approved rim width (in): 8.5-11
Tread depth (in): 21/32
Tread width (in): N/A
Section width (in): 13.39
Overall diameter (in): 35.04
Revolutions per mile: 592
Weight (lb): 80.91

Read more: http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...rappler_mt_tire_test/index.html#ixzz1f3U5pq6N

·
Registered
32 Posts
I ran the 35" Dick Cepek DC II on my lifted diesel and they were a great tire. I will be getting rid of the BFG's and going back to the DC II. They are an all around good tire to me. Did alot of towing with them on to Virginia and back.

·
Cali Wagon Wheeler
1,307 Posts
Nitto is also owned by Toyo, so I would think the weights would be similar, but I know the Toyo's are heavy for a reason. I beat the hell out of mine and they have yet to fail me.

·
Registered
786 Posts

Mainly the Toyo Mt's and Goodyear Duratraks

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
1st choice:Toyo MT
2nd choice: Nitto Trail Grappler
3rd choice: Cooper STT
4th choice: KM2

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the information so far!

Here's a question; any of you ever used/seen the Yokohama Geolandar MT+? Lightweight and priced great for a 35" tire. Though, I know nothing about it as far as tread life and road noise level.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have had the yokohamas in the past and they were a good tire. Easy to balance, quiet and long wear. Bridgestone makes a good MT tire also that is the quietest MT I ever tiried.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'm running the Yokohama AT's now. GREAT tires. Like said above, super easy to balance, great treadwear, etc. I've got about 30K on this set now and they look like they'll easily go another 10-15K. I know it's not the MT but Yoko makes some high quality tires for sure.

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
This is a good topic- I'll be using it for myself down the road. I've thought about Cooper STT's for my next set. I just hope the stock tires last for a while- I don't want to have to buy new tires for a while.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've been running the 315x70x17 Firestone Destination Mud Terrains on my Power Wagon. They work very well in dirt and rock, fair in sand but are a little on the noisy side on the hiway. I've had them on my truck for about 10,000 miles and they still look in very good condition.

Cliff

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.