DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yeah..for some reason i CAN NOT get the lugs off the front wheels. They are on very tight. I used a breaker bar..moved to an impact gun at 110psi. And they still won't budge. I need to get the brakes changed ASAP. But i really dont wanna fork out $90 for a shop to do it. Is their anywhere that i could maybe rent a compressor with a higher psi to do the job? or is there a method i could you besides a long ass pipe to get some more torque onto them?

Thanks for all the help. You guys are the shizite. :rck:

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
I would advise using an extension on the breaker bar. That is quick, easy, and super duper effective as long as you have a quality socket that wont strip the lugnut.

You can use a piece of metal pipe as an extension on the breaker. I would also advise using a 1/2" socket not a smaller 3/8". 3/4" would also work.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
they're not supposed to be that tight. do you have a 4-way lug wrench? Those are much easier to work with

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Try hosing things down with a penatrating oil overnight.

I have problems with my nuts, too, but I don't want to talk about it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the same problem when I tried to do the brakes on a friends VW bug. It seems they have some insane torque requirement for some reason. Oh, and they were reverse thread on one or both sides, can't remember now. Anyway, this may seem stupid and insulting but are you SURE your turning in the right direction? If so do as mentioned and use a really long piece of pipe over the handle of your breaker bar or rachet. I would be weary of using a penatrating oil unless you intend to completely remove all traces of it before reinstalling the lug nuts. Lug nuts like to loosen up on their own espically with alloy wheels and oil would just make that easier. Maybe I'm just a freak, but I lost a wheel one time while going down the road, ..... not pretty.

·
User
873 Posts
If you don't have a pipe laying around, just take your jack handle off and use it. Works wonders. ;) BTW, a breaker bar with a pipe will out-torque a big impact gun any day.

As for the penetrating oil, that's not true. Something else caused your wheel to fall off. As a general rule of thumb, you should put a dab of regular motor oil on the threads when reinstalling to help the nuts from seizing. If you normally torque to 100 lb-ft, torque a little less with oil, say 90 lb-ft.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I had a similar problem with one lug nut on my rear wheel. My impact gun wouldn't get it, so I used the breaker bar method-- if you have impact sockets, use that because they're tougher. As it turned out the guy at Costco that put my new tires on used his impact gun to install the lugs without threading them with his fingers first-- this lug nut was completely cross-threaded, but tighted all the way down. I had to replace the lug nut with a new one. Fortunately only the first two threads of the stud were damaged, so I was able to clean that up with a die rather than replace the stud.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright..ill have to try out that giant breaker bar method...using the jack bar sounds like a good idea..i woulda never thought of that. Thanks for all the help.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
WarrensD said:
*snip*I have problems with my nuts, too, but I don't want to talk about it.
Where's Don, he didn't catch this one?
Myself, I have collidus. Every time I walk my balls collide!:D

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
B1G BLEU said:
Where's Don, he didn't catch this one?
Myself, I have collidus. Every time I walk my balls collide!:D
IDK WTF I was doing all thsi time. I should have caught that long ago, though I don't look at the tire/wheel/susp. forum that much. I should though, those some mean nuts you've got there.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you need to replace the lug nets let me know. I have a full set, brand new, never been used that I can sell.

Mark

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Unnamed said:
IDK WTF I was doing all thsi time. I should have caught that long ago, though I don't look at the tire/wheel/susp. forum that much. I should though, those some mean nuts you've got there.
Just trying to keep you boys on your toes...LMAO!

You also missed most of my "playmate profile" on Year/Mileage/Engine Size...lol!

·
King Daddy D.O.G!!!
2,475 Posts
RT Mark said:
If you need to replace the lug nets let me know. I have a full set, brand new, never been used that I can sell.

Mark
Impressive!! A spare set of nuts. Mine are usually in a safe place away from trouble in my wife's purse. I never thought of getting a spare set of them. Nah...I'd just get myslef into more trouble.

Seriously though...try applying heat with a small torch concentrated on the LUG nut. This will make the LUG nut expand and then you should be able to remove it easily.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
jplinville said:
Impressive!! A spare set of nuts. Mine are usually in a safe place away from trouble in my wife's purse. I never thought of getting a spare set of them. Nah...I'd just get myslef into more trouble.

Seriously though...try applying heat with a small torch concentrated on the LUG nut. This will make the LUG nut expand and then you should be able to remove it easily.

The late Sam Kennison: "...so my wife said: 'If you're looking for THESE, they'll be in my purse or in the freezer...'"

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jplinville said:
My dad was telling me to try that out. But im too damn cheap to go out and pay like $15 for a torch. Ima go out and try out that breaker bar method right now..ill tell you guys how it goes along.

·
King Daddy D.O.G!!!
2,475 Posts
I would use the breaker bar as the last resort...You could possibly damage the threads on the either the nut or the stud.

Either way, keep us posted.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i tried everything. Just brought it over to sears to have a brake inspection for $15. They just got the nuts off and then put them back on and torqued them correctly. I brought it to midas before and they said they couldn't get a lug nut off without cracking it and wanted to charge me $100 EXTRA for a new set of lugs. I was like...F! THAT! haha. $100 for lug nuts..psh. But i got them off now. Better using $15 then $200 to have them changed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.