DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of 20 inch wheels from a 2016 Ram 1500 to run on my 99 Ram which has stock 16 inch wheels. When I went to mount them I found that the lug bolts from the 2016 truck were a larger thread diameter and the nuts are a larger diameter and taper. Does anyone know where I can find original thread sized lug nuts with the larger diameter and taper to fit the 2016 wheels?
Thanks for any information or suggestions you may have.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
you have to use the og bulge nut from the 99.
they do tighten snug against the wheel right?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stock 99 nuts just barley catch the edge of the wheel, I would never trust them. I did some more research and found that in 2002 Dodge changed from a 1/2" lug bolt to a 9/16" lug and the nuts are 15/16" in diameter. I have checked with numerous tire and accessories shops and I am told no one makes an adapter nut for them. I then thought about using an adapter plate or wheel spacer thinking all they would have to do would be drill one set of holes at 1/2" diameter and then have 9/16" studs. Both lug patterns are 5X5.5 so it would be a piece of cake to make, but apparently no one makes those either. I have a hard time believing there is not a market for something like that so a person can adapt the new wheels to the old trucks.
I appreciate your help, let me know if you come across something or have another idea.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All I know is what I have been able to research. If you happen to see another 2nd gen with newer wheels ask them how they adapted from the 1/2" lug bolts to the 9/16 holes and lug nuts. I'm sure there are others who would like to know also.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
You need to use BULGE nuts! The outer diameter of the taper is larger than a standard lug nut. Not familiar with what's on a 99 but from what i seen the 1/2 20 to the 9/16 18 nut the outer diameter is real close. .020 difference witch is next to nothing.

This is for 1/2 20

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are all 1/2x20 bulge nuts the exact same dimensions as your example above or are they manufacturer specific? Do you know what the dimensions are for a 9/16x18 stock nut?
Thanks for the help also.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I'm sure there is some variation between manufacturers, As i said i'm not familiar with the rims you have but you can look up the dimensions of stock replacements for the truck they came off of and go from there. I did a quick search and this came up...
https://www.amazon.com/2012-2017-Black-Factory-Style-M14x1-5/dp/B01H6KBP4Q
It says that the thread is metric not 9/16! And the large part of the taper is 1.020 witch is about an 1/8 difference from the lug above.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for your help. I have ordered a set of bulge lug nuts in the 1/2x20 size and we will see what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.