DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am figuring on buying a 2007 Ram 1500 QC in a few days from a used vehicle dealer where I live. He only buys 1 owner lease returns from dealerships. It is in excellent shape with 97000KM (67200 miles) on it.

He has both Lubrico and Global after market warranties to offer. I know several people say that they are not worth the paper they are written on. Just from reading the fine print on the warranties I know I would probably not keep up under the terms of their agreement. All servicing has to be done according to the most severe conditions as layed out in the owners manual and it can ONLY be done at places that are approved by them. I dont trust little Jonny pimple face changing my oil. Also doing this every 3 months with synthetic will tend to get a little expensive.

Does anyone have any stories or recommendations for or against Lubrico or Global warranties?

Thanks.

·
Busted Knuckle Garage
531 Posts
The only warranty I trust is the Chrysler service contract. It's the mopar extended warranty. But thats because I have a good trustworthy dealership to go to. It helps that my dad was the Chrysler regional training manager for 20 years and trained every tech there and knows them all personally. The sales reps tried to spin an aftermarket service contract to us and we just laughed at it. Most of the third party plans you have to be reimbursed or wait for approval. The Chrysler one (if you have a good dealer) applies immediately because the dealerships are trained and approved for warranty work and thus can immediately apply the service contract.

Also the third party contracts pay full retail for parts while the chrysler one pays break even cost so the dealerships try to spin the third party warranties because they make money on them hand over fist.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sounds like you have already made your decision? Myself I would not buy extended warranty! And if I did it would have to be backed by the manufacturer. I used to work with GM Extened Warranty years ago. I remember the name Lubrico. I can remember dollar limit pay outs being involved? And replacement parts can be "like condition". That means used parts being installed. Don't know if that is accurate today? You are a very wise person reading the fine print. You would be amazed at how many people buy this policies without reading them. I have heard so many times the salesman said "everything is covered".

Don't quote me on this but I am sure I have read some of the 07's are having high speed vibration issues? Maybe somebody else can chime in on this? So I would make sure to get it out on the highway for a good ride and feel for any vibrations.
Good Luck with the truck should you decide to buy.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Man, that's a lot of miles. I've bought some high-mileage rides as well.

You may want to shop the insurance companies for warranty coverage. Many of them write that kind of coverage for a good bit less. I got a quote from Warrany Direct on my Mazda, but I elected to skip it.

Your best bet is to take the money you'd have spent on the warranty and just bank it.

·
DirtRunner TreeDragger
895 Posts
NO.
Short answer.
As tmerritt530 said
The only warranty I trust is the Chrysler service contract. It's the mopar extended warranty. But thats because I have a good trustworthy dealership to go to. It helps that my dad was the Chrysler regional training manager for 20 years and trained every tech there and knows them all personally. The sales reps tried to spin an aftermarket service contract to us and we just laughed at it. Most of the third party plans you have to be reimbursed or wait for approval. The Chrysler one (if you have a good dealer) applies immediately because the dealerships are trained and approved for warranty work and thus can immediately apply the service contract.

Also the third party contracts pay full retail for parts while the chrysler one pays break even cost so the dealerships try to spin the third party warranties because they make money on them hand over fist.
How much are your willing to pay on that HIgh HIgh mileage vehicle anyway?
Save just a little more and get a new one, $24,000 for a new quad cab and $18,900 for Regular cabs right now before rebates even.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Not worth your money.. spend it on mods!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I am figuring on buying a 2007 Ram 1500 QC in a few days from a used vehicle dealer where I live. He only buys 1 owner lease returns from dealerships. It is in excellent shape with 97000KM (67200 miles) on it.

He has both Lubrico and Global after market warranties to offer. I know several people say that they are not worth the paper they are written on. Just from reading the fine print on the warranties I know I would probably not keep up under the terms of their agreement. All servicing has to be done according to the most severe conditions as layed out in the owners manual and it can ONLY be done at places that are approved by them. I dont trust little Jonny pimple face changing my oil. Also doing this every 3 months with synthetic will tend to get a little expensive.

Does anyone have any stories or recommendations for or against Lubrico or Global warranties?

Thanks.
I don't see any red flags for either company on the FTC site nor did I find any real complaints about them online in a quick search. With that said however, like the others above, I would not touch a warranty unless it was from the auto mfg themselves.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
The reason I say no.. IS at my work I see alot of cars that are broke down.. and the insurance does not approve the work to be done... such as wheel bearings, axle's, brakes, etc..

Now there was one of the typical GM impala/ buick intake gaskets.. Ive seen 2 of them be paid for through insurance and thats a 800$ bill..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses so far. The place I am buying is not a dodge dealership. The truck I am looking at seems sound after a good look over and a test drive. You can tell it is not abused. I know a few people that bought from here and never had a problem with the vehicles they bought or the guy running it.

I forgot to mention that I am in Canada, but there is not difference as the warranties are pretty much the same.

I also know a couple of guys that had the Lubrico warranty and said that is not worth the paper it is written on. The one guy I work with had engine problems and ended up replacing the engine. Lubrico did not come clean on it for some reason and he was stuck for the entire bill.

I read another online story about a guy with problems with his AC and had to put in a new compressor, evacuate and recharge the system and the whole bit. He was even doing his 3 month oil changes but lost 1 receipt during a move and could not produce it or get a copy of it (so he says), but tryied to argue the point that the engine oil has nothing to do with the AC. Did not matter, not covered.

When I say I am not going to live up to the terms of the agreement, I dont mean I am going to neglect the regular maintenance. I dont mind doing most or all of this on my own, then I know that it done right. These warranties dont cover back yard maintenance, no matter what receipts you have, and they dont want you touching or repairing anything unless they say so. These companies will also not cover "abuse" and 1 guy I know was saying towing the 25ft travel trailer I intend to haul around this summer, might be considered a fine line with respect to abuse, even though I have the tow package.

I think I am going to pass on these warranties, save my $1800 CDN, and put it to better use.

Lets here more stories if you got them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a pic from the dealer where the guy I am buying it from got it. It is just plain jane, but looks straight. It has not got the cleanup job on it yet. It has the power rear sliding window, infinity sound system, power drivers seat, spray in box liner 4X4, console computer, 17" wheels, 3.55 ratio.
I do need to get some mirror extensions for towing though if anyone knows a good cheap place to get them.

It was near to impossible to park the camper in the yard with the Durango, now I know it will be impossible with this one. For guys with this problem might be interested in this: http://www.powermoverinc.net/htmls/pmaccarts.html
I ordered the AC6. I have not got it yet but I can give some reviews on it after I get it and try it out, if anyone is interested about it.

Attachments

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
How much are they wanting to tac onto your financing for the warranty?? You can buy and extended warranty from Dodge for probably less than what they want for it.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Become your own warranty provider and learn to work on your truck.

Common issues with your truck: Tie Rod ends, Front Struts, Brake Rotors/Pads, front wheel bearings, maybe the steering rack (I think by 06 this was under control) and the Evap/Blend door. Oh yeah, the HEMI Tick as well but that generally doesn't hurt anything. Most all of those repairs are fairly simple to do and aren't very expensive (all except the evap/blend door). You'd be amazed at how easy most that stuff is and you end up enjoying it while you do it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Global warranty "Everything included" package was $1899+12%tax for 3 years or 60000K (37280 miles).

I like the way JackedDak03 put it. I will become my own warranty provider. I dont mind at all doing my own stuff. Sometimes I am a little short on the right tools, but it gives me a good excuse to go buy them. I got help too if I get stuck. My wifes brother was a hair away from becoming a journeyman mechanic at a nearby Dodge dealershop before he almost "popped" the service manager. His fuse is about 1/32" long! Now he and I are both in the Power Engineering trade at different companies.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Right on with the tool comment- my wife bought me an air compressor that came with a tool kit about 4 years ago and since then I've been willing to attempt any repair (and have completed each one ). In the meantime I've had to purchase a bunch of tools along the way but I end up using them over and over again. Good luck on your purchase!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I got mine with the truck new and it takes it to 100k miles, but it was only $800. Let be honest you are going to have some repair bill on this truck....but the major is less likely to happen or even double up. Tranny...less the 1900, head gasket...less then 1900..Blown engine....FML...engine blow only when abused is prob what you will hear.

BUT I have gotten my monies worth some out of the three that I have had. Not one of them was over $1000.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.