DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know tire guys often don't publish or make it hard to find rolling resistance values at times, that said does anyone know of a place listing some values to check out? I'm specifically interested in comparing the BFG TA KO and Nitto Terra Grapplers on this front.

BFG at least lists the weight on their site as 57.6lb, Nitto doesn't even appear to list weight.

Anyone have some resources out there to list?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but the ONLY all-terrain tires I've heard of referred to as "low rolling resistant" (not by classification, but in comparison tests) are the Michelin LTX AT2 and Hankook Dynapro ATM.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No not really, but that goes to show you how annoying the lack of numbers are. :p I just want to compare these two.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Understood...the problem is that "objective" tire tests with hard data are extremely rare! Most tire tests are completely subjective.

I have tried both tires before, and although they both performed fairly well, I wasn't overly impressed with either.

How's that for another useless subjective opinion?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup.

On what criteria were you not impressed? For what they are the BFGs are usually rated quite well and the nittos respectably. Although I'm asking about rolling resistance I know neither of these are going to be the a super economical tire. I just wanted to know how they stack up against each other on that particular item since I can't seem to find anything.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
They were both good tires with increased rolling resistance compared to stockish street tires. BFG was a more durable tire, but traction in most conditions fell a bit short compared to newer technology tread compounds. Nittos were better in the traction department than the BFG, but not quite as durable.

I would consider both to be "above average", but consider them overpriced for what you get compared to some of the newer tires that have come out in the last couple years.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fair assumption the Nittos are probably a lower resistance than the BFGs?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say the BFGs will have a lower rolling resistance due to their tendency to have stiffer sidewalls & a harder tread compound. But then again, the smaller tread blocks of the BFG will likely lead to more tread squirm.

IMO, find the weight of each as unsprung weight is usually the biggest culprit in destroying mpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts