DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new poster here starting to tire-kick at the idea of getting a Magnum. Dodge dot com doesn't list the EPA estimates but I think the SXT is 19/27 but I'm not sure on the LT (or the RT, maybe 17/25?).

I've done some searches and see mention of the 3.5 in the mid to low 20s (23-25mpg). The RT posted figures are several MPG lower but more eratic in what I've seen reported - which I attribute to the MDS and variables in driving style.

What I have NOT seen are actual MPG figures regarding the 2.7L DOHC V6. Does anybody have any to share (or for that matter the EPA estimate)???

Also how does it compare on 0-60 and 1/4 mi times?

thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
The 2.7 may have marginally better mileage but it exists only so you can brag about paying the least for a Magnum. The 3.5 is better in all ways and is not that much more. The Hemi has a much greater price premium and if you kick it around, guzzles fuel like a drunken sailor.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The 2.7L and 3.5L share the same mpg estimates. 27/highway and 19/city. The 3.5L offers quite a bit more get up and go, over the 2.7L. Don't know the 0 to 60 or 1/4 mile differences.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SAME EPA on the 2.7 and 3.5 ?!?! Then by what possible logic do they offer the 2.7 at all? Well I guess that explains why nobody is buying the 2.7L.

As to why no dealers (I've seen) have any 2.7s on the lot - they are also the most expensive engines to manufacture and that package thus offers the least markup to a dealer.

Thanks for the follow-up - on that note I guess I won't expect any real-world experience/feedback on the 2.7s mileage either. :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
That's a good question. Those mpg figures came from the dodge site itself. I guess the issue is horsepower and price. The Hemi doesn't cost any more to produce than the 3.5L or even the 2.7L for that matter. So if you don't want horsepower, Dodge cuts you a deal. If you want horsepower, they screw you. R/T does have more goodies over the SE as well, but not $8,000 worth. :dunno: I'm guessing that SE's were created to be fleet vehicles.
pgtr said:
SAME EPA on the 2.7 and 3.5 ?!?! Then by what possible logic do they offer the 2.7 at all? Well I guess that explains why nobody is buying the 2.7L.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just out of curiosity where on the site did you find the EPA figures. I had looked around a bit and missed it obviously. Maybe it's one of those things where it's so obvious I just always seem to miss it.

thanks,

·
Registered
365 Posts
I went:
Dodge.com
Magnum
Specifications
Scroll down to "Basics"
And you'll find it under "basics"

I tried copying the link, but it took me to another Dodge window.
pgtr said:
Just out of curiosity where on the site did you find the EPA figures. I had looked around a bit and missed it obviously. Maybe it's one of those things where it's so obvious I just always seem to miss it.

thanks,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.