DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever LOWERED a 2003 Ram QC 1500 HEMI 4X4 ?

I don't go off road and this thing would be far easier to get into and handle if it were about 3" lower...

Any thoughts ? I use to to tow the boat and go to town in the snow once a YEAR for a week.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Do a search on lowered 4x4's. There was a thread started about a month ago and slammed1 gave some tips, shackles, spindles, etc. Might want to pm him since alot of people were fighting about slamming a 4wd. good luck.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I went with the 2/4.5 kit. You can easily squeeze another inch out of it up front by letting some tension out in the keys. Or you can say just say screw it like I am and go 2wd and be done with it. You wont have any issues with the snow....I live in Alaska and snow machine every weekend, I've had to engage the 4x4 maybe....3 times a year. I have bottomed out over the larger bumps or under really really hard accelration, but there are many ways to fix that issue, like said above...Slammed one has good looking minor c-notch you could do,as well as change out the shocks. the kit comes with rear shock extenders which get the job done but there are better ways out there. I've got some before and after pics in my gallery to give you an idea of what you can expect after the drop.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2005 QC 4x4 Hemi. I lowed the back about 3" by getting Slammed1's lowering schackles and also removed the rear helper springs. Then I lowered the front about 1" via the torsion bars. The back afterwards felta little 'sloppy' until I put on a full set of Bilsteins. That tightened everything back up. I like it alot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
why do you people pay an extra 4K to get 4X4, and then lower your trucks??? I would have killed to get a 4X4 but i couldnt afford it! What a waste...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I didnt say put a 12" lift on it. But, it is a "Truck". Im just baffled why anyone would lower a 4X4 truck... Kinda like there is not much of a point to lifting a 2X4 and putting big super swampers on it. Just seems back asswards to me. Its your truck though. I'll give you mine if you wanna trade for a 2X4!

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
a stock height 4wd ifs pickup is pretty low to begin with. why would you drop it more?

i hated gm pickups cause they sat so low, then dodge followed suit. i used to be asked, "is that a 4x4?" on my gm. that would tick me off!

mike

·
Registered
266 Posts
I to would be lowering my 4x4 and I bought my truck for traction, not for off roading or rock climbing. It is so funny that every time this subject comes up, you have the people who have to say something negative about it. I wish I didn't need a 4x4 for the weather here. Then yes I would have brought a 2x4. But I Couldn't. So a lowered 4x4 will give me better handling and traction for what I need.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I posted about lowering my 4X4 too. I wanted to do it because i don't go "GET'N ER DONE" off-road, I just have it for snow. To me, if a truck comes with 20inch wheels on it, it shouldn't be very tall at all, unless the tires are huge.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just lowered my 4x4 with some Shackles and love the results. Here are some pics. I also removed the overload spring. Rides great if not better.

Attachments

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
hemiram544 said:
I posted about lowering my 4X4 too. I wanted to do it because i don't go "GET'N ER DONE" off-road, I just have it for snow. To me, if a truck comes with 20inch wheels on it, it shouldn't be very tall at all, unless the tires are huge.

Same here, In upstate NY we get snow but 4 wheel drive will take care of that. I just don't like the way the ass end sits up in the air so high. I use it to transport my 650 lb quad and make trips to the dump and such. I think it would be the best of both worlds for ME.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Kingbingy said:
Just lowered my 4x4 with some Shackles and love the results. Here are some pics. I also removed the overload spring. Rides great if not better.

That truck looks amazing with the drop. And you can go through snow! :rck:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks. just waiting to get more funds. I will eventually go with a 2/4.5 drop. After I get my leather and front bumper replaced with Srt-10 bumper.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
In that picture: Is that just with the overload spring removed and torsion bars cranked down?

·
Registered
266 Posts
no, I didn't touch the torrsion's. I just removed the overload and added the new shorter Shackles.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
How much were the shackles? And where do you install them, in place of the overload spring?

·
Registered
266 Posts
the Shackles are about 80 delivered. No the Shackles is a different component. While I was installing the shackles, I removed the overload spring. I did the job my self. It was not bad at all. Little time consumming. Shackles give about 1.5 to 2 inch drop and the overload is about 3/4 inches.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.