DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
CTAC(SW), USN, Retired
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions, Questions??? I would like to make my SST the same height both front and back, was wondering, has anybody done this? What would it take. The other thing is, I don't want to loose the ride, if it's going to bottom out in the rear, no good. Input, input please... :help:

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
I have 2" lowered shackles in the rear of my truck (I'll post an older pic)

It dropped the rear down and basically leveled it out some.

Several companies make dropped shackles for our RAMs - its as easy to do as replace the stock shackle.

You do that by taking the pressure off the weight of the wheels, then simply take out the bolt that holds the end of the leaf spring on one shackle - take that shackle off, bolt your new lowered shackle in to place, replace the bolt in the leaf spring and do the other side ...

sounds easy enough - but I have to admit - I have a friend who runs his own garage - and a lift and an airwrench made life a WHOLE lot easier ....

·
CTAC(SW), USN, Retired
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RAM MAN, once again thanks for the reply. I can't get to your photo, the link is not working for some reason. I do have access to a lift so I will see who's got the best price on shackles. Did you have any problem with shocks or anything after lowering?

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
crap

I was having some problems posting that pic (but not sure why) just look in the gallery, its uploaded and currently at the top of the page

no - no problems at all

you still use the stock shocks - nothing ever bottomed out or bumped ... I put the rear anti sway bar on at the same time, so this comment may be directly related to that as well, but I could swear the handling felt better to me ...

·
CTAC(SW), USN, Retired
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, that's the ticket! Appreciate your effort here RAM MAN. Now to hunt down the shackles, any recommendations? It's funny you mentioned the anti-sway bar, I was just looking at them in Summit last night, do they do alot for the truck, in your opinion?

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Bell Tech is supposed to be the very best

Summitt has them for about 60 bucks

the rear sway bar I have is from Hellwig - it works great - I could REALLY tell a difference when I was "powering" thru a corner

it stuck like it was on rails instead of having that leaning feeling ...

·
CTAC(SW), USN, Retired
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks and bunch RAM MAN, will order both the Shackles and Anti-Sway Bar this payday. Something else I wanted to bounce off you... Crager is back in the business of making the old S/S wheels again, both in 17x8 and 17x9, how do you think they'd look on the SS/T. I always liked the appearance of those wheels but I'm a little concerned that they may be a little too vintage, any opinions?

·
CTAC(SW), USN, Retired
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, One more thing. I was looking on Summitt's Site and found they only list an anti-sway bar for the 2500-3500 2wd trucks, Is that the one you have on? I'm not sure if that will bolt up to the 1500 rear?

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
honestly, I got my Hellwig anti rear sway bar from JC Whitney when they had them on sale ...

if you want an unbiased opinion on the classic 5 star Cragars - I can't give you one because I absolutely LOVE the classic 5 star look !!!! LOL

BTW - I have a pic !!!!

let me see if I can find it !!!!!

·
CTAC(SW), USN, Retired
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They do look awesome, by this summer they have got to be on my SS/T! Of course will post pics. Just got done putting on my new locking billet fuel door and replacing the air/heat control unit cover and knobs. Now looking to intall tach on dash, not sure if I can conquor that one today, need some heat shrink first. Get a few more things on this truck and it will be time to post new pics. BTW will check with JCW on the bar see what they have it going for now. Once again RAM MAN, thanks for the info.

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
one thing you should check out is this: backspacing

when I looked into it before, they didnt have the correct backspacing for our trucks

you can kind of tell from the pics of the '03 truck that they stick out a little ...

There are other nice 5 star lookin wheels - the ones I was ready to order (from Chromedubz no less) were the Foose Nitrous Thrust

Boyd Coddington has another set that I liked as well - the "Smoothie II"

and don't forget American Racings Torque Thrust II's

;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
sst wheels

Don't you like the factory wheels on your SST ? I have a Indy and love the wheels ! I have a autometer 5 inch tach on my dash and loveit ( see pictures in my gallery). I also do love the old cragar s/s wheels had them on plenty of cars years ago ,starting to show my age!

·
CTAC(SW), USN, Retired
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RAM MAN,
Thanks for the heads up on the backspacing. I probably wouldn't have figured that out till I ordered them. What is the backspacing for the SS/T? Will look at the others you suggested.

·
CTAC(SW), USN, Retired
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Indy360, Thanks for Autometer pics. I would appreciate it if you could send some further info on hooking up this tach if possible. Like what difficulties did you encounter or whatever you can think. I was going to attempt this tomorrow, Sunday. Love the pods also. Did you loose your Tweeter when you mounted the pods, looks like you have three separate pods. Also was it a bear to run the lines to the gauges? BTW, I do like the stock SS/T wheels, my wife even likes them more. Everytime I talk about changing them she gets that "wife look" on her face, she calls it "her truck", mmmmmmm, just might be a future "encounter". :grum:

·
CTAC(SW), USN, Retired
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:IDEA: RAM MAN, So the offset is 5.5? I was thinking that the 5.5 was the bolt pattern width. Questions, questions, I'm just full of em...(Grin)....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.