DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive been thinking about lowering my truck but I have no idea what to really get. I have 2 inch drop shackles in the rear but i want to kind of level the truck out without spending too much money. I know they sell lowing kits and springs and all sorts of things to lower your truck. Any advice???!
Heres some side views of my truck.

Attachments

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Check-out the Sport section; I'd bet you find help in there.

:)

·
Redtruck-VA
2,758 Posts
The drop shackle and O/L spring removed should get you very close to level. If not install a flip kit and you can dial the height in using shackle length.

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
coils & flip kit for a 2/4 or spindles & flip kit for a 2/4 as well.

2" drop shackles should have made it more level than that.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
i used leaf spring clamps and lowering shackles... got close to 4"drop, the ride gets stiffer but it's not harsh.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I did the shackles and clamped the springs and mine turned out pretty level. I'd like to go down a couple inches all around, but I'm too damn cheap. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what would be the cost for spring clamps?

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
they are about 13 bucks at autozone. you need to get the widest ones they got.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
btw you will need two pairs, two for each leaf spring (one on front of the axle, one for behind the axle, per side)

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
So what would be the cost for spring clamps?
They're cheap but make the rear springs real noisy over the smallest bumps. I used them to help with traction and they didn’t last three days before I pulled they off. They’re in my toolbox, which is in storage.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what is the actual purpose of these clamps? Is it to lower the truck or do something else? I've also heard some people say things about cracked leaf springs due to the clamps. Is that common?

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
So what is the actual purpose of these clamps? Is it to lower the truck or do something else? I've also heard some people say things about cracked leaf springs due to the clamps. Is that common?
The clamp keeps the spring from flexing and it's an old traction trick from the early days of drag racing.

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
I just put mine on the front. Mainly just to lower it a little more, but it does seem to help with traction. I've only had mine on for a little over a year, but no problems so far. It is a little stiff, but not too bad. Plus, I can still use the truck to haul stuff, where I couldn't had I taken the overloads off.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah thats true cause I probably will still need to carry some heavy things once in a while so it would be better for me to leave the overloads in. I might just go buy a pair or clamps today.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I ended up going to autozone and picked some clamps up. Took no time to put them on and I actually like how they made the ride of the truck. When going over bumps theres less bounce but in a good way and the handling seemed a little better too, a little less sway from side to side when turning. Heres a picture of my truck now. Tell me if you see a difference. Thanks guys

Attachments

·
Redtruck-VA
2,758 Posts
That is sitting very level. The next time you overload your truck look at the O/L springs and see if they are touching or nor. Maybe a picture,

·
UCF 2012
614 Posts
get those back pieces back on and youll be good to go.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
get those back pieces back on and youll be good to go.
I would but I dont have them anymore. I got rear ended last winter and had some work done to fix it but when I went to pick my truck up from the shop those back three pieces hadnt been painted yet so I told the guy to spray them and let me know when they were done. I ended up going back to school and he never got back me. Long story short, I went over when I was home next to get them and the guy told me that he had never had them and that I had taken them with me when I picked the truck up! I was there arguing with him but it did me no good it was his word against mine. Lets just say I wont be taking my business there anymore. To make it even worse, you have a better chance of winning the lotto then finding those rumble bee ground effects anywhere.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.