DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to lower my 1998 Ram SS/T using Belltech coils, leafs, and shocks. I have a couple questions. Do I have to drop my gas tank? Can you just unbolt the straps and push the tank over toward the passenger side to access the driver's side front leaf spring hanger bolt? When installing the front coils, do you separate the steering knuckle at the upper or lower ball joint? Anything else I need to look for?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. So, did you separate the steering knuckle at the upper or lower ball joint?

·
grounded
308 Posts
Put your truck up on jack stands on the front and use your jack under the lower control arm right under the spring and jack that arm up almost to the point that the truck is going to come off the jack stands. Remove your shock and separate from the lower ball joint. When you separate it there will be a lot of weight hanging on that upper control arm so get a piece of steel or something else (I have a nice heavy piece of aluminum that I bent into an S shape at work) to hook on that arm to hold it up. After that is separated and that shock is off, stand to the side and SLOWLY let your jack down. This will let your spring extend and then once down all the way it will just fall right out. Put your new one in, and jack it up the same way until you can get your shock on to hold it and then connect your ball joint. There you go. remember to use the proper springs for each side and make sure they are seated right. not a hard process. As for the back there won't be enough room to move the gas tank either way because drive shaft is right there but you can still do it without dropping it or removing the bed. Just take your time and always remember to measure three times.
trevor

·
Registered
319 Posts
i was able to move the tank over a little just enough to get my hands up there.
as for the springs i did 85'400. just use a jack. the lowering springs are shorter so you wont need to compress them. but i had to remove the sway bar endlink the lower shock bolt and break the LOWER ball joint loose. and just watch your break line dont stretch it or tear it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips. I had a pretty good idea, I just didn't know which ball joint would be best.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the rear dropped down today. I'm pretty pleased with how it sits in the rear. The front, not so much. It only dropped about 1.5" instead of 2" in front. They tell me it will settle down to 2". I'm going to try an eyeball camber adjustment and drive it around a little before I get an alignment.

Before:

Sorry about the bad pictures. The lighting is horrible for taking pictures in my basement. I had to brighten them up a little.

Yeah, my truck is that dusty. ;)

·
Registered
599 Posts
so is that 4" in the rear?.......just leafs in rear?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is supposed to be 4". I haven't measured it yet. It looks like it went lower than 4" just looking at it. It was Belltech leaf springs and shocks only in the rear.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finished tightening up the bolts and took the BeaSS/T for a ride. The factory shocks must have been shot. All the bouncing, squeaking, and most of the vibration is gone. It sure is nice not to have to stretch or jump to get up into a 2wd pickup.

Here are some decent pictures.

Before pictures:

·
Registered
599 Posts
very nice...what size tires are those?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just measured it. The front only dropped roughly 1.5" The rear dropped roughly 5.25". The truck is actually 1/4" lower on the left side before and after. I may go with 2" spindles and a 1" coil up front when I can afford them.

very nice...what size tires are those?
They are the factory size. I think 275/60/17. I'd have to go look.

·
Registered
359 Posts
driver side is usualy lower do to driver and gas tank weight...
and how the hell did you get your truck in the basement?? isnt that under your house?? lol
and theres a guy on here that found the drop spindles for like 200-300 for the pair..they aer normaly around 500-600.

·
Registered
984 Posts
That is one sexy truck :rck:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
driver side is usualy lower do to driver and gas tank weight...
and how the hell did you get your truck in the basement?? isnt that under your house?? lol
and theres a guy on here that found the drop spindles for like 200-300 for the pair..they aer normaly around 500-600.
I have a door on my basement.

Where did he find spindles for that cheap?

That is one sexy truck :rck:
Thanks! I like it too. :cool:

·
Registered
299 Posts
looks killer man! the process i took... get someone who knows wtf theyre doing to do it so i dont screw it up, and watch how the whole thing goes down maybe even learn something while im there. worked for me, but then ive never lowered anything before, ive done a full 4.5" superflex lift on a cherokee and an air ride system in a chrysler but this was way different.

·
Registered
599 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.