DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at lowering my 1987 D-100 Ram in the spring but can't find any parts to do so! How would I go about lowering this truck, I want to drop it 4 or 5 in the back and 2 in the front to level it out! Anyone have some suggestions or places that will have these parts ? Below are some pics of my truck!

Brian :rck:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Dang man your truck looks NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rck:

I am looking at doing a 2/4 on my 93 Ram as well. I've been checking into it for a while, but I never got any helpful answers though..

This is the closest resemblence to helpful information I have ever found:
http://www.airbagit-store.com/product_list.asp?id=1889

Hopefully someone on here has dropped a 1G before and can help us out.

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
I have tried to help both of you and have stated a simple 2-4 could be done if you are capable. If I ever have another one of these year model trucks here I am going to make some templates for some future kits......way too many guys keep asking for these year truck drop kits with no luck.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I don't think either one of us have ever dropped a vehicle before, so without experience, I think the simplicity of a kit would help us out better than fabbing something ourselves, well for me at least, thats the case.. I was just saying I'd be interested to hear from someone who has dropped a 1G before to see what they did and how. I have heard multiple times in the past that some have used spindles in the front, but where they got them and if they are still in production is something I'd like to know.

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
I have dropped a couple but it was all custom stuff used like a different coil trimmed to desired drop,re-positioning rear spring hangers and doing custom shackle lengths.The flip kits are easiest but only if you are planning 6" rear drops and not 4". The fronts you can do close to 3" with clever thinking and still have it alignable but as far as an actual kit or spindles avaialble I have heard the company quit making them that you were referring to.

As always I am willing to help but right now I am un-aware of a bolt on kit.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hey BRIZDODGE, clean lookin truck! :rck: Try out AIM Industries. Found some lowering control arms to fit your truck. For the back, as mentioned, shackle extensions and maybe hanger relocate. My buddy did a 4" drop on his 94 ram 2wd, and had to do that, as per the kit. Hope the link works.

http://www.aimind.com/

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have lowered my 1st gen .. it was pretty easy but again it was custom work .. and i lowered it 6/7" looks good tho ... cut front springs and bump stops in the front and flipped rear axle in the back with 6000lbs trailer blocks. cost me under 40 bux to lower the whole thing!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
no all i did was cut them it went down like 4-5 inches then it hit bump stops. it was ok but drove pretty rough. So after a bit i cut the bump stops it then went down another inch or so, and rides good now, nice and smooth. SUPRISELINGLY!!!

Here is a pic half way lowered it is b4 i cut the bump stops wich in turn dropped it more... and b4 the blocks were installed in the rear wich are like an inch more drop

as you can see reference to the door and my buddy standing beside it it was already low.

i will get some more recent pics of it at the height it is now...

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Looks nice, Jdm-eg! Did you have any alignment problems though? I wonder what your camber is like in the front. It ight go through ball joints a little quicker that way.

Looks great though, man. Nice and low!

·
Registered
510 Posts
That's pretty low! That was a compliment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The alingment is pretty good considering... This truck was just sitting around for 3 years not running.. so i spotted it for my dad to buy for a parts truck for his 1st gen. But he never wanted to take anything off it ..lol.. so i looked at it and got the 318 running, then he gave it to me and i changed brakes/lines all the way around and now i am just using this truck as a winter beater, so i can air bag my chevy over winter.

P.S.
BRIZDODGE sorry for jacking on ur post, you should definitlly lower that clean 1st gen, they look good lowered. and just jump in and do it thats the only way to learn how!!

Good Luck on it :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.