DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so using spindles to lower a 4X4 puts the half shafts at pretty extreme angles. lowering any more than 2" with spindles results in things breaking. that has been seen more than once. so i have a few questions

1) does lowering the suspension vs. using lowering spindles create the same issue with sever half shaft angles?

2) would shortening or using custom half shafts relieve the extreme pressure put on the front 4X4 components when using spindles?

3) has anyone tried going lower by using torsion keys AND cranking the bars down?

·
Once and future owner
3,059 Posts
1) I had 2" lowering spindles on my previous Ram and the half shafts where at about their limit. Lowering it will cause half shaft issues just like lifting it.

2) You can try custom shafts but those are pretty pricey and last I checked there where none for dropped 4x4s.

3) Don't go any lower than 2" period. I've seen other's with 4x4s go lower(3") and ended up blowing out the half shafts.

Your best bet is to stick with either 2" drop spindles or new T-bar keys or turning them down. 4x4 front independent suspension can be pretty finiky when lowered or lifted so it's best to stay within the limits that it can handle or you'll be in trouble often. :tup:

·
2013 Sport
610 Posts
That's because 4 wheel drive vehicles are not designed by manufacturers with lowering in the equation. You're getting into pinion angles, transfer case and axle bind, all kinds of things. Same thing with extreme lift kits. Why are you.....nevermind. I guess I'm just getting old. Sorry. I just thought that the purpose of a 4 wheel drive capable vehicle was clearance and getting over and through stuff? Good luck, brother. Be safe-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.