DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible?? i want to lower my quad cab 4x4 but cant find anyone that would do it for me... does anyone know what i should look for? cant i buy a 2" shakle for the rear and install that? would there be any problems lowering a 4x4? any input would be sweeet, :rck: thnx guys

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
id apreciate it! here are some pics, let me know if i missed somethin.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
If the rear springs are on top of the axle you can add a longer shackle to the rear and that will drop close to 2"........If the axle is on top of the leaf blocks can be used. On the front you are kind of limited because of the strut type shock/coil set-up,but I can see a few things I could do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i took these of the rear axl...what do u think?

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
kledmyster,
You can get lowering shackles on ebay for about 60 or 70 bucks. The shackles are designed for 1.25" or 1.75" drop for the rear end. I used the 1.25" and the real drop was 1.5". This made the body set level. I did remove the 4X4 decal but it was after these pictures were taken.

Attachments

·
Banned
505 Posts
I gotta say that I think lowering a 4x4 truck, which is designed to have clearance for off road obstacles and whatever, is the stupidest, most wasteful thing a person can do to one. Why have a 4x4 if you want to do that to it? It makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
powerfulhemi said:
I gotta say that I think lowering a 4x4 truck, which is designed to have clearance for off road obstacles and whatever, is the stupidest, most wasteful thing a person can do to one. Why have a 4x4 if you want to do that to it? It makes no sense to me.
and adding body lifts to stock suspension 4x4's give so much extra suspension travel,go preach to someone else,we are all tired of the dropped 4x4 lifted 2wd comments.:crazy:

·
Banned
505 Posts
But you're going to get all kinds of comments on here, because this is a very "democratic" board and we can say what we think. That's why I like Dodgetalk.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
powerfulhemi said:
I'm sure I've said the same thing in my head many times, lol. Being from the old school myself I thought the entire idea of lowering a pickup truck was ridiculous until I joined DT and saw so many of them and how good they look (especially the single cab Rams, IMO). I still cringe at the mention of a lowered 4x4 instinctively.

But, there are people who need the extra traction of 4wd for the winter, but don't drive their truck off-road, and like the lowered look. There are also people who are disabled and have a hard time getting in a truck that's not lowered. Which brings me to my next point.

When I bought my Dakota, I had a lot of motivations. My first choice was a Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4. But I've got a disabled mom who has been in and out of nursing homes and from time to time I have to go pick her up someplace in my vehicle, so I decided the 4x4 Ram was going to be too tall and clumsy to get her in and out of. I considered a 2wd Ram but felt like that would be a compromise since I really do use the 4wd. I still might have gone that route though if the Ram Quad Cab had fit in my garage. So it seemed the Dak was the right thing at the right time for me, and now a couple years later my mom has ridden in the thing all of about four times, so now I'm thinking about lifting it somewhat to fit some bigger tires. :D

I guess my point is, though it's hard, keep an open mind about the lowering/lifting debate, since individual truck owners may have their own personal motivations for things. Would I lower a 4x4 truck? Nah. But I can understand why some people might. Just don't tell me about it. LOL

·
Registered
45 Posts
I lowered mine in the back so it would set level. I did not care for the factory look. Also raising the front involved more time and expense than I was willing to do. The differentials are still the same height whether you raise or lower the body. I did not buy my truck to destroy it 4-wheeling. I bought it for the added traction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.