DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some people talking about lowering their 4X4's and I'm just curious why you would do that? Didn't you buy a 4X4 to use it? If you want a fast truck that's low to the ground, just by the SRT 10!

Maybe I'm crazy, but I always thought that you bought a 4X4 so you could go where the sissy trucks couldn't.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
agreed, but some people who are into lowered trucks and wanta ram just buy the first they can. some people dont know what they want till thye buy the truck. if thats the case its semi understandable. if you bought a 4x4 with lowering mods in mind.....buy a neon

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
lol.. the few members i've ran into actually makes a reasonable explanation.. they like the looks of lowered trucks, and they dont plan on any hardcore 4x4ing.. they just need the extra traction for light duty snow, etc.

Personally, i think its wasting the extra money to have the 4x4.. but hey, its their money..

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
the never ending debate.. I use my 4x4 for snow, ice, pulling a boat and driving on the beach, so who cares if i lowered the rear to level it out, i think taking a truck and skyjacking it to the moon is a waste. Now if someone slammed a 4x4 to the ground , not my taste but then hey it still will help in the snow. Not everyone lives in places where you can go trailriding and mudbogging , i know i dont!! Doesn't alot of vehicles now come with either 4wd or awd, , some people just want the extra traction!!! Why do some get their panties in a bunch with what others use their trucks 4 anyways.. If you had a nice boat you had to trailer, im sure people bye the 4x4 just for that!!!

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see how lowering a 4X4 helps in the snow. The lower you go the less ground clearance you have. I guess if you live in Washington or California that's not all that big of a deal, but in Montana if your going to have a truck, have a truck. If not, buy a Chevy Colorado.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
lowering it 3 inches in the rear is not gonna make a difference. Yes Slamming it to the ground will , but it will still go better than a 4x2 in the snow!!!

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
Yeah, it will if you need to get over a big snow bank and end up getting high centered or if the snow if really deep the body will drag and cause more resitance, but thats about all I can think of. Just my preference, I would leave it alone or lift it. But I am also of the crowd that if I had a 2wd I would lift it and make a pre-runner setup.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey James , where you been???

·
5,101 Posts
Out in the real world.... LOL

Just not inside much during the summertime, out doin stuff.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
sometimes you just need extra traction for those perfect lunches from the start line, hey people do things for their own reason, i bought a 4x4 so i could say hey i got a 4x4, and you must be crazy if you think im going to take a brand new truck thats worth so much in a mud pit/trail riding, thats why people have beater cars/trucks.

·
5,101 Posts
JamesJ2525 said:
Out in the real world.... LOL

Just not inside much during the summertime, out doin stuff.
Like driving my truck through the mud and trails.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't know about y'all,but where i'm from if you ain't got a lifted truck you ain't got shit(And as of know I ain't got a lifted truck,but I do miss it).But they are also alot of lowered trucks also,but most of the drivers talk spanish(if you know what I talking about.

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
hemikc4x4 said:
I don't know about y'all,but where i'm from if you ain't got a lifted truck you ain't got shit(And as of know I ain't got a lifted truck,but I do miss it).But they are also alot of lowered trucks also,but most of the drivers talk spanish(if you know what I talking about.
And a lot of the Spanish speakers English is better than yours.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
rtes said:
And a lot of the Spanish speakers English is better than yours.
HAHAHAHA thats funny and true :thatfunny

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was just kidding I figured it would make some people mad(my father has a lowered truck).In fact I like lowered trucks I would never own one,because I hunt to much for that.So lighten up guys."Because I don't care who you are that's funny right there"

·
Scapegoat047
375 Posts
A lot of hardcore trail setups are going with smaller lifts and major sheetmetal cutting to stuff some big meats. A good idea to avoid the forces of gravity on off-camber runs. Just my .02.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I say do whatever makes you happy with your rig. Yes I think it is pointless to lower a 4X4 to the ground to where you cant even navigate a speed bump, and some people who like lowered rigs think that it is pointless to raise your truck skyward. I do know that when my rig is lifted, the stupid lowered ones will be getting out of my way, regardless of what damn language they speak.

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
ROMAD said:
I say do whatever makes you happy with your rig. Yes I think it is pointless to lower a 4X4 to the ground to where you cant even navigate a speed bump, and some people who like lowered rigs think that it is pointless to raise your truck skyward. I do know that when my rig is lifted, the stupid lowered ones will be getting out of my way, regardless of what damn language they speak.
I'm with you until the last full sentence.
Not quite sure what you mean by getting out of your way.
On acceleration, nope the lowered truck has the advantage.
On braking, nope the lowered truck will out brake you.
On fuel consumption, nope the lowered truck is more aero efficient.
On top speed, nope the lowered truck will hit the limiter before you.
On cornering, nope, you try and follow a lowered truck through a series of bends and the lifted truck will end up a pile of scrap metal.
So lifting lets you drive over big rocks and through deep water and mud. For the less than 1% of your total driving time that you spend in that situation it's not much of a pay off.
If you said you were lifting it because you thought it looked cool, that's cool, but don't think for a minute your enhancing your performance in any way, if at all your harming it.
And by the way my English is OK and I have passable French, a bit of German and a smattering of Spanish if the language I speak makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Rtes, very good points!!!!

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
Tommyboy1 said:
Rtes, very good points!!!!
Cheers dude,
not my intension to flame anyone but these continues "got to jack up a 4 wheeler man" comments just get so boring. Most of them don't list there state but the ones that do seem to be from, how shall we say this , areas of the country were snow is as rare as rocking horse poo!!
Think we have both gone over this a few times in other threads and some seem to get it but others don't. I would also question how serious the offroading they actually do is. Even a Reg cab short bed is way to big to do any thing more than just drive around. Last time I was on the Rubicon I didn't see a single Ram, strange that. :rck:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.