DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
TRICK TURBO
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its my HID's causing low voltage while stiin in traffic so how do i fix it?

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Resisistors?

KB

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
There is a way to measure the resistance going to the HIDs, by adding the proper resistor it tricks the electrical system into feeling the "stock" draw of voltage. Therefore should eliminate any lamp out lights and I assume keep your voltage from fluctuation, unless there is another issue at hand.

KB

·
New Project!...Again!
3,261 Posts
Dont HIDs have less draw on them then normal headlights?

My voltage drops when I am stopped. But I have a LOT of draw on mine. I have the lights on, idling at 500, Viper Fan and a 1600 watt RMS mono block amp with a 400 watt 4 channel on top of that.

Mine leans to the left. Then if I speed up the engine, it will go to half way.

I am currently looking into a bigger alt to help supply more power at idle.

·
New Project!...Again!
3,261 Posts
KB112 said:
There is a way to measure the resistance going to the HIDs, by adding the proper resistor it tricks the electrical system into feeling the "stock" draw of voltage. Therefore should eliminate any lamp out lights and I assume keep your voltage from fluctuation, unless there is another issue at hand.

KB
I think he is talking about his voltage guage droping when he is stopped in traffic. Not a Lamp Out light.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
DodgeThisHemi said:
Dont HIDs have less draw on them then normal headlights?
Yes.

DodgeThisHemi said:
I think he is talking about his voltage guage droping when he is stopped in traffic. Not a Lamp Out light.
I know, but the resistor should keep the voltage at normal range. Thereby eliminating the fluctuation if the HIDs are truly causing the problems. This is what I have been told/heard in the past. I am not 100% sure though, so I could be talking out my ass. :booty:

KB

·
TRICK TURBO
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may have another problem.. The trucks been actin funny lately.. Blew fuses in my amp and almost stalled at wot doing a SC run.. Maybe i'll start with checking my battery connection..

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 2nd Gen had the same problem when I installed a electric fan. Get a good high output alternator. I bought a 165amp alt off ebay and it lasted about a year and the output at idle was the same or worse then my 70 amp. I bought a 135 amp alt from NAPA and it worked allot better, keeps the gauge at 14v at idle with the fan, AC, stereo going.

·
Registered
908 Posts
the adding of resistors will impede the electrical current, not help it....that is what they do. as for the fix, a more powerful alternator is your answer unless you find something else wrong in your search. I would start with all of your grounds. there is one on the fender support on the driver's side near the battery (10mm or 8mm bolt with 2 leads), there is another on the passenger's side fender support, and one on the firewall on the passenger's side near the wire harness (near the orange wire that has PTO labeled on it). All of the ground points are painted over at the factory, take a small razor blade or xacto knife and scrape all of the paint off. i will bet your problem goes away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.