DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
360HD
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the truck is heathed up, go to stop and oil pressure gauge goes down and rebounds to normal. The oil light comes on for just a second, then goes out, and throwing no codes. Please help, thanks in advance.

·
360HD
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed, been going on for a few oil changes now. Mobil 1 filter and 10W-30. Very particular about maint on the truck, just rebuilt the motor in December.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
x2. yah start there. drop the pan and clean out the sludge while your at it.

·
Woodstock
762 Posts
:thatfunny "...clean out the sludge while your at it." Spun360, you're a mess.

·
360HD
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh, I forgot to mention the engine might have 10k since the rebuild, and the RPM's seem to drop to about 400.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
i would check sending unit ,, confurm with second guage off motor
have heard that the pick up tubes loosen and start oil press loss

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
didnt know a rebuild, sorry. 400rpm is low for me, mine at 700rpm. brought it down from 750 myself. you prob, hopefully is just a failing sender for the pcm. do you think the idle rpm should stay up higher?

·
Woodstock
762 Posts
Spun360, I thought you were just messing with him about the sludge.

Like Mad 1 said, check the oil pressure with a mechanical (real) guage to see what oil pressure really is, if you can. A new oil pressure sender is only about $32. If the pressure is actually low, pull the pan.
No matter what, I wouldn't put the pan back on my truck without a new oil pump.

Also, 400 RPM's at idle is too low. That can cause a low oil pressure condition.

·
360HD
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just got a new sender only $20! going to replace that this weekend. The RPM's don't drop untill you go to stop and are slowing down. it idles around 600-700 i suppose. Where can you hook up a mechanical gauge to test pressure? Thanks for the help.

·
Woodstock
762 Posts
Here is a picture of the oil sending unit on the back of the block. In this picture it's just to the left of the distributor. (I took the picture leaning over the engine)

If you are just hooking up a gauge to check on pressure install the mechanical gauge in the same hole as the sending unit. If you plan on keeping the gauge hooked up, before you take the old one off, take the new one (easier to get the correct size) to the parts store and get a 'T' fitting with one male and two female ends so that you will have an extra spot for the mechanical gauge.

It's a tight spot, so, do it with the engine cooled off. (Huh, I have an oil leak)

Attachments

·
360HD
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was just the sending unit, dodged another bullet. no pun intended thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
glad to hear it. could have been serious, a pump or main bearings went bad fast or spun. my sender went bad too. worried me for a week.

·
Woodstock
762 Posts
Great to hear. Weird how something so simple can put so much doubt in our heads when they act up.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
glad nothen major
mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.