DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
wickedquick
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latley my 5.9 has been idleing right above 500. sometimes it even dips to 500. At times ill be waiting in a intersection, and ill have to kill my music because I think my truck has shut off its so quite. Plus it hardly sounds like I have my Magnaflow now. Anything I can do to help this? Like maybe a new higer output coil? Any ides would help im afraid itl get worse. I did a full tune up and cleaned the IAC not too long ago.

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Maybe the IAC has kicked the bucket, you would be better to just replace it. If the motor is stock no cam installed then the idle should be constant. I know for me since I have a cam installed I had to adjust the idle screw.

·
wickedquick
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my mistake. when I said I cleaned the IAC I actually replaced it.....so that options out.

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
With the idle low take the air cleaner off and cover the back part of the TB to see if the IAC is letting air into the TB. If the IAC is closed you will have no vacuum in the part your are blocking off. You may just need to adjust the idle screw. Would be kind of odd to need to adjust it.

There is a cover over the idle screw just remove the cover it is pressed in there. Once you remove the cover you will see a tork screw you can adjust the idle.

Quick question do you have a trouble code stored ?

·
Don't Fear the Reaper
1,638 Posts
The IAC can be bad even if new. Think about that. If it is the idle screw, it wouldn't be too surprising. They can vibrate out of position over the years. I have had it happen on other vehicles, lawn equipment, etc. Sometimes it can drive you crazy trying to figure out the problem since you don't ever think to mess with the idle screw.

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Follow the throttle cable to the TB, where the lever hits the top of the throttle body it is in that block. Looking from the front of the truck. It is on the top left corner of the Throttle body. You will see a round plug, pry the plug out.

To set the idle:

The engine at operation temperature all warmed up. You need to cover the rear of the TB the pie shaped section. That will block incoming air to the Idle Air Controller. Now set the idle to I beleive 750 or close to there with that part blocked.

The Idle Air Controller IAC adjust the high idle, when you first start the truck up, When the A/C is running, also acts like a chock when you quickly hit the gas and let off while in drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.