DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I think I finally dammaged something on the 2005 Ram 3500.
Last week I was hammering the truck pretty good, and when I let off the throttle, I heard a loud "POP" noise. I assumed it was just the blow-off valve?
After this happened, it seemed like I was hearing even more wistling than normal from the turbo?
Since then I have noticed the truck smoked a bit more than normal, and my EGTs were hotter than normal, then Today I hooked up the trailer, and my EGTs were way too hot!. I noticed that my max boost was only around 11psi. I tried to see if I could get more boost, but about 14psi was about it?
I know the truck could hit over 25psi easy before this happened.
I think I am loosing boost somewhere, but I could not see anything obvious.
Could I have dammaged the blow-off valve? and how would I check it?

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Make sure you didn't pop one of your intercooler boots off or pop a whole in one of them.... Do you have one of those plastic intercoolers? Hopefully you didn't break something on that...

·
Registered
842 Posts
If that dosent help check to see that you didn't burn the fins on the turbo. They will howl really bad and make no boost.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is what I did so far. I inspected the rubber tubing and intercooler and there is nothing visual that looks wrong. I was driving earlier today and the truck runs decent (I think I was able to get around 14-15 PSI max), but then I stopped to get my mail at the post office. When I started the truck back up and drove it, it was way down on power and was only making 3-4 PSI boost, then it threw a check engine light, CODE "P0299"?
I'm not sure what the P0299 code is.
Anyhow, I drive over to my friends house and remove the AFE intake, and the Edge/Attitude to return the truck to stock.
After returning the truck back to stock, the check engine light went off, and it seems to be running simular as before when it was making about 14 PSI boost, but I can't tell for sure since the Attitude monitor was my only gauges.
I still can hear the whistling like boost is leaking from somewhere when I put a load on the engine.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Your p0299 is a turbo/supershcarger underboost code. You may have poped something in the actuator. Possible blown seal? I know that when I had my Shelby that I cooked a seal in it that made it whistle like no other and make about 0 power... I guess turbos won't take a 35 min ride at WOT lol.

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
Did you check the waste gate hose and or the metal "pot" for movement? You may have blown the diaphram inside it. That would leave the wastegate valve in a partially open position and yeild only partial boost. If you are a bit adventerous, pull the turbo, remove the rear plate (5 bolts) and check to see if the valve is making a good seat or is missing pieces. At least you'll have it out of the truck if the turbo seals are blown and it has to be rebuilt. Good luck... Chris

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And the answer is...........

Intercooler end seal crimp.

The crimp on the drivers side of the intercooler came loose where the plastic end ataches to the intercooler core.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Cool! We'll take that 69 R/T in payment for the help! I wanna drive it first!! :drivingz:
:thatfunny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.