DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My in-laws recently gave me a '92 SE with 83K. I recently replaced the original struts, strut mounting plates and shocks with better than average replacements and replaced the tires all around. The problem before was that when going over any rough spots on the road, the van rattled like crazy and if, God forbid, I hit a pot hole, there was a sickening, metal-on-metal, bottoming out sound and feel. After replacing the above mentioned suspension parts. NO DIFFERENCE! :VHOT:
This is my first Dodge product. Is this "typical" of the rides one should expect or are there other avenues in the suspension area I should look at. Thanks for any input you can give.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Definitely not typical. If all parts are in working order, your van should ride as quiet as the day it rolled out of the showroom. The "thump over bump" is probably a sway bar link or bushing. These are fairly cheap and easily replaced, but you MUST keep the zerks greased regularly or you'll be replacing them again soon enough. It might also be a tie-rod end, but if that were the case you'd notice slop in the steering, and wandering on the highway. The outers are cheap and easily replaced. Keep them greased, and you shouldn't have a problem. The inners are a different story. I've only ever done one once, and it was no picnic. The last time I had one go, I paid a professional about $235, of which more than half was the part.

Good luck. Let us know what you find. Once you get this stuff fixed, you'll like your van a lot better.

Rick

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
Also, in addition, be sure that you are running the correct air pressure in the tires.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks VERY much for the quick responses. I'll get underneath the van this weekend and look into what you suggested. I really appreciate your input! Thanks!! :tup:

One last question. I looked up the suspension in a tech guide. Is the sway bar link the same as a sway bar retainer? There was nothing noted as a "sway bar link". Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hmmmm. Got me stumped there. I don't get into the name game too much. I'm still kinda old school on a lot of things. I wouldn't want to venture a guess and guess wrong.

Rick

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
A sway bar link connects the sway bar ends to each of the steering knuckles, and the sway bar retainer holds the sway bar in place. :)

Usually there are two retainers, each fastening the sway bar and sway bar bushing (usually a rubber composed part) to the frame with two bolts. :)

Hope this helps. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again guys! I'm "going under" tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find and how it turns out. :cheers:

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
kilogolf said:
Thanks again guys! I'm "going under" tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find and how it turns out. :cheers:
Great. I hope I was able to help.

...and feel free to come back and ask even more questions.

You'll find many more people here will be willing to help you out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.