DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i shut my engine off, it makes a loud noise. It does it louder when the engine is up to temperature and softer if it's cold and not warmed up yet. My dad said it's probably the belts skidding, but i was wondering if all cummins did that and if it isn't the belts, what is it? Is it something that needs to be fixed? Thanks...

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
They all do it, it's mentioned in your book of words. It's normal. Prob something to do with such a high comp engine stopping and energy still being left in other spinning components such as A/C, alternator and other trying to put there energy into the stopped engine back through the belt.
A chirp is how I'd describe it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
It's a common occurence on any Cummins Engine, not just the I-6 found in the Ram. My Skytrak Forklift uses an I-4 Cummins and makes the exact same sound when it's turned off, I haven't heard the Cummins V-8 in the M9 ACE in a long time, but IIRC it makes that sound as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very normal! Nothing to worry about at all. I had the same question after I bought mine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, thanks. just making sure something wasn't wrong.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
It's normal because the belt wants to keep going, but the high compression of the motor is stopping.[/DeadHorse]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Squeaky

Hey, I've got a 03 2500 CTD, and it does the same thing. Nothing is wrong. My Dad has had a 97 since new, and it does the same thing.

·
WYOhemi
478 Posts
the only thing you can hear on our skytrak forklift when you shut it off is the stupid exhaust pipe rattling against the metal part where it exits. bugs the crap out of me...maybe i should try to fix it sometime huh?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.