DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 97 intrepid, and last night a loud whine started, and the tranny was slipping hard going into 2nd and 3rd. it would make an even louder whine momentarily, and it would be like you put the shifter in neutral for a second, then put it back in drive. the speedo works, as does everything else, but the water pump seems to be where the constant whine is coming from, and a drop of coolant comes out every second. it seems to be related, but i dont know why it would be, both started at the same time. tranny fluid is full, please help! it is not my car, im borrowing it from my mother after my caravan hydrolocked going through a six inch puddle. any advice will help, thanks
paul

·
Registered
204 Posts
The radiator also serves as an external transmission cooler and if the coolant is low due to leaking, it might cause the fluid to get too hot and cause shifting issues. Does the car run hot?

I wouldn't drive it anymore if the water pump is making a loud sound.
Not sure if all the engine sizes work the same, but my 3.5L 96 has a single serpentine belt that drives everything including the water pump.

KP

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.