DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my first post here, I got a 05 durango slt hemi, and whenever I drive over shutterbumps or large potholes, a large "thud" or clanking sound comes from the rear suspension area. Sometimes the sound is repeated over each washboard bump. I checked out the swaybar bushings and I think they are still good, does anyone have any advice, or a possible cause of this very annoying occurance?

·
Registered
190 Posts
x2 on the shock. Sounds like your due for some new ones

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
def bad shocks. that noiase is you hitting the bump stops

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Could also be the Watts Link. That is the part mounted to the rear diff housing that has the two tie bars attached on the ends.
Mine went and was replaced under warranty around 75K. Whew...

Check it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just replaced both rear shocks, and the noise is the same and occurs in the exact same situations. Thanks for the watts link suggestion, I had a feeling thats what it was, but was hesitant becasue I dont really know much about replacing one of those things. I have taken a look at it, and it looks like it propritary to the 2nd gen durango. Cap lock kid, even though yours was replaced under warranty, do you have any idea of how much that cost for parts alone?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I just replaced both rear shocks, and the noise is the same and occurs in the exact same situations. Thanks for the watts link suggestion, I had a feeling thats what it was, but was hesitant becasue I dont really know much about replacing one of those things. I have taken a look at it, and it looks like it propritary to the 2nd gen durango. Cap lock kid, even though yours was replaced under warranty, do you have any idea of how much that cost for parts alone?
Sorry, no idea. I pulled my workorder but they black out all warranty pricing.

Call the dealer or Napa and compare prices. Thats all i can suggest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Called the dealer about the watts link, and they said it was typical, but they have no way of knowing whether it was sway bar bushings or the watts link until either is replaced and a change is noticed.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Typical dealer answer..... Did you ask for the price of the Link?
Can you do it yourself?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had this same issue on my 04 and it was the front sway bar links. For whatever reason, it sounded like it was coming from the rear, but once repaired, the noise went away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone, my first post here, I got a 05 durango slt hemi, and whenever I drive over shutterbumps or large potholes, a large "thud" or clanking sound comes from the rear suspension area. Sometimes the sound is repeated over each washboard bump. I checked out the swaybar bushings and I think they are still good, does anyone have any advice, or a possible cause of this very annoying occurance?
I had the same exact problem, and same exact thought...

However, It was the swaybar bushings.

Had them replaced.... and I'm back to like new!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.