DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what to check for this? I lost my bass in my stereo. The door speakers are not working. The rest of them are fine, just no bass. I don't know where to start.

Thanks.

· (_)& (_)& (_)&
507 Posts
did it just happen suddenly? any aftermarket stuff?

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No aftermarket stuff at all. Just happened one day. I was blasting it on the way to work and then when I got in to go home, no bass. It cut in and out with bass one time and now nothing.

· (_)& (_)& (_)&
507 Posts
just to clarify symptoms: high range audible only up front but full range still audable in rear?

· You've been Hijacked
15,407 Posts
since it's all stock stuff, are you still under warranty? Maybe something went bad in the radio.

· Registered
61 Posts
Same here, I have had my truck about 2 months now. My front right door speaker has NO bass,happened while listening to talk radio??? Dealer said bring it in, 2 hour wait time to fix it.HUH???

· (_)& (_)& (_)&
507 Posts
BigDew22 said:
Same here, I have had my truck about 2 months now. My front right door speaker has NO bass,happened while listening to talk radio??? Dealer said bring it in, 2 hour wait time to fix it.HUH???
did it get fixed? if so, what did they replace

· Registered
61 Posts
Taking it in next week. Will report back upon return. :cool:

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm out of warrenty on my truck :VHOT:

· (_)& (_)& (_)&
507 Posts
PGH, was i right about the symptoms i mentioned above (post #4)?

· Registered MOPAR User
9,389 Posts
I would tend to guess a connector on the back of the radio either dirty or loose. Then possible play with the bass control knob, turn it a few times to see if it will self clean and come back. Do you have a premium OEM radio (alpine or infinite)? Those have an Amp that can go bad, not usually but...

· Got 2 Hemis
5,057 Posts
Blown speaker, probably. Talk radio turned up kinda loud will do that. So much distortion, the speakers can't handle it. Easy to test. Door panels come off lickety-split. Speakers easy to remove as well. Good opportunity to upgrade. Can you borrow a known-good speaker for testing? Doesn't have to be top-notch, just known good.

Could be a dirty control, but not likely any more. Radio Shack should have some contact cleaner. You don't have to disassemble the radio (and this should NOT be the first step), just spritz the control from the outside.

Whoops, mixed up my posts. "Blasting it" through factory speaker will certainly blow the cones. So much distortion by the low-powered amp will kill speakers faster than too much power.

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have sound from the speakers in the dash, none in the doors.
Sounds like I blew my door speakers out. I had it almost to the max.

· Daytona #8457
778 Posts
sounds like you may have blown the amp, or there is an internal connection problem. You should have them test the outputs coming out of the back of the radio. If there is output there, then you should test the amp, then the speakers. Down the line until every link has been tested. At that point, if everything has been tested, and works, then you should have the radio replaced because it is on the internals of the radio.

~Dodge Guy~

· Registered MOPAR User
9,389 Posts
It's funny that both doors go at the same time, tells me their's a connection issue or an amp issue.

· Got 2 Hemis
5,057 Posts
PGHRam said:
I have sound from the speakers in the dash, none in the doors.
Sounds like I blew my door speakers out. I had it almost to the max.
That would have been producing so much disortion, it would've killed the speakers in no time. Anything past 1/3 of a turn of the volume adds way too much distortion. Volume controls are not linear. You get most of the usable power long before you are at full turn.

Since the dash speakers still work, I would hope the amp is still OK. A test speaker will tell you in no time. At low volume, please. Remember, twice as loud requires ten times the power. It takes a big amp to get a minimal increase in volume.

· Registered
667 Posts
I'm going to guess that you have the infinity sound system (Premium sound) in your truck. The OEM amp has a built in crossover for the speakers. Bass is sent to the door speakers and midrange/tweeters in the dash. The speakers in the rear doors are full range. My guess is that you have had a failure at the low frequency crossover point. Typically a capacitor. This would make sense since you lost sound to both speakers at once. The drivers in the doors are 6x9 2 ohm bass speakers only. I would start with a process of elimination and test the speakers first. What HU do you have? Are the rear door speakers working ok?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.