DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have problems with oil loss. Its not leaking anywere but I seem to be loosing like 4-5 quarts between changes. So I am always adding more. Could it Be a valve seal Problem? Any suggestions. PLEASE HELP

· Certifiable User
279 Posts
Depends on how far between oil changes is. ;)
I don't agree but most manufacturers say 1qt every 1,000 miles is normal on a NEW vehicle. Oil consumption usually decreases at first after break in... then increases again as the vehicle gets older. I can't begin to tell you how often we fight with Ford customers over this. I agree with the customer it isn't right but it is normal.
I have seen the new and old powerstroke customers pull in with no power kicking and screaming over the fact their "new" truck is falling on it's face and not pulling right. Only to find out they havent had their oil changed in 7-8k miles and have no oil showing on the dip stick. Considering these beasts hold 15qt's or so thats alot of oil burn off. Yet perfectly normal.
Most of the vehicles I have owned go through about a quart every 2500 miles or so except our neon (and of course my old stangs but they don't live a cushy life under my watch.) The Neon never really needs an oil change(I change it every 5K regardless) because it uses a qt about every 1500 miles yet doesnt leak or smoke.
Moral of this rambling is just to watch closly..do you see any leaks (place cardboard under vehicle at night). Do you notice any oil smoke on start-up?...on accel?...decell? If none of these conditions are excessive just keep a close eye on her and keep on truckin' ;)

PS check/replace your pcv valve. It's cheap and can be a culpret in oil consumption.

· Keystoner
5,488 Posts
another common thing is the plenum gasket leaking. All you have to do is look down your TB.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I Replaced The Pcv Valve Like 6 Months Ago Thinking That Was The Problem, It Wasnt. I Also Tor Into The Engine To Replace Plenum Gasket. Still Loosing. I Am Talking About Like 4-5 Quarts Per 3000 Miles. I Do See Some White Smoke At Start Up As Well When I Lay Into The Throttle Sometimes. Any Suggestions Now?

Thanks
Billy

· Registered
833 Posts
4 to 5 qts per 3,000 miles is not normal. I don't have to add any oil in between 7,500 mile oil changes. You may have blown the plenum gasket again. If you can verify that it's sealed up tight and not leaking I'd try a compression test on all eight cylinders to find out which piston ring set is bad. Either way it's not good.

· Registered
747 Posts
I didn't have to add a drop in the 6500 miles I drove mine between it's first and second oil change.

· Registered
17 Posts
Hi, newbie here! Mine was doing the same thing. Using about a quart every 2 weeks, no smoke, no visible leak. I changed the intake gasket and the plenum gasket and, no more problem. :)

Bag

· Registered
17 Posts
Thanks! I bought a used '99 last spring. I wanted a Durango BAD ever since the first time I saw one. I got a burgundy with 36,000 miles on it. One owner(lease). Had the oil leak right away, and 2 weeks later the heater core went! I thought, "what did I get myself into?" Other than replacing the right-front ball joint 2 months ago, she's been a GREAT ride. I'm getting the itch to customize her a bit now. :)

Thanks for the welcome!

· Registered
112 Posts
Bag said:
Thanks! I bought a used '99 last spring. I wanted a Durango BAD ever since the first time I saw one. I got a burgundy with 36,000 miles on it. One owner(lease). Had the oil leak right away, and 2 weeks later the heater core went! I thought, "what did I get myself into?" Other than replacing the right-front ball joint 2 months ago, she's been a GREAT ride. I'm getting the itch to customize her a bit now. :)

Thanks for the welcome!
what did it cost you to replace the heater core. did you do this yourself. i think mine may have a small leak, i smell a faint odor of antifreeze when i have my heater fan blow (or air).

· Registered
17 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to have an auto mechanic for a brother! You have to tear out almost the whole dashboard to get at it and the hoses, etc... I forget exactly what I paid for the core. I'm thinking it was between $80.00 and $100.00. I thought about getting one at a junkyard (cheap), but my brother talked me out of it. After seeing what all is involved, it's worth it not to have to worry about an old one going bad and having to do the job all over again. If you're decent with a wrench, I'd say go for it and do it yourself. Have a helper because you'll need one at times. Also plan on taking all day to get it done. I'm learning alot from my brother, and he has saved me TONS of money. (He works for beer :) . We did the gaskets too, and all that cost me was like $20.00!

If you decide to do it and need help, you can e-mail me and we can exchange phone numbers and I could help guide you through it. It's really not that hard, but it is time consuming and a little scary when you start ripping apart the dash.

· Registered
112 Posts
thanks bag, i will pm you when i feel that im up to the task!

· Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,294 Posts
if you see smoke on hard exceleration that is often a sign of bad rings. many people on here get their oil consumption fix by replacing the intake plenum gasket, but if you are sure you installed it correctly, it may be your rings as mentioned before. that seems premature though.

· Registered
17 Posts
Spyderman, don't put it off too long. When they go, they spit anti-freeze all over your carpet! Creates a fine mess!

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Could It Be Bad Valve Seals?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.