DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there know what to do about broken clips on the underside of the front bumper vinal trim. Mine is broken at both upper clips. This causes the vinal trim piece to come out of where it's normally tucked in at, thereby increasing airflow drag.
Aside from buying a new trim piece, anyone ever repaired this problem? Ideas are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mine is totally screwed. I have it duct taped and zip-tied just to keep it on. I'm sure you can find new clips, but I havent even bothered looking yet.

·
Jason
3,866 Posts
I had the same problem... I got some small stainless steel bumper bolts, drilled holes through the plastic and metal, then just bolted it back on. The bolts have a smooth head, so it does'nt look too bad, better than that plastic floppin everywhere.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Which plastic piece are you referring to? The top black piece, the plastic piece that wraps around the bumper or the black lower valence?

The top and bottom black pieces are very cheap, like $35 each.

That wrap around is more money. A couple clips on mine have broken. They always break in the bumper so I can pull them out. So I JB Weld them back on and its good to go from there.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I had problems with mine, so for $140 I went and got the top black piece, and bottom grey piece, don't have to worry about it anymore, and them being brand new not faded etc adds a LOT to the truck.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Sounds like my problem. My lower piece on my sport bumper is torn from the mounting bolts where they wrap back up to the top of the bumper. Haven't done anything with it yet.

·
Registered
594 Posts
If you're talking about the plastic rivets on the bottom piece on the ends, you can go to Lowes. In their specialty fasteners area they have automotive fasteners, including plastic rivets in several sizes (I forget which size they are).

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
He may be talking about those. Mine are the metal studs though :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:tup: Sorry for the confusion....I am referring to the lower gray plastic wrap around piece. The two upper corner clips, which appeared to be moulded with the trim piece when it was made, broke off right at the inside surface of the trim piece. This allows it to come untucked from the upper black trim piece whenever I drive over 50mph.

I like the idea of new, however since my windshield is cracked I think I'll spend cash to get it replaced. Instead I think I'm going to install 2 carriage stainless steel small bolts after drilling as 2K1 suggested.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I just drilled some screws through mine right under the black belt on top covers up. That way they're hidden and the plastic piece can't blow in the wind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.