DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I haven't been around lately, and I've been kicking around getting a new truck. I've decided against going with the Diesel, because I really don't need it, nor do I need a new truck. So I decided to work my Ram even further, and my next step is going to be forced induction.

I have been looking at kits, and I really like the ProCharger kit, because it comes with the fuel pump, injectors, and tuner. However, I really would like a screw-type, similar to the Kenne Bell kits for the Mustangs. There really doesn't seem to be that many out there for the Ram. Is there any out there that I am just missing?

Any thoughts on which direction I should go? Not looking for a race truck, just something to fool around with on the street and smoke the hides a bit.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I'd seriously look at the Procharger. Kenny Bell still hasn't worked out the bugs yet on these new Hemi's and he's been trying since 03.

·
Smokin Them Tires....
670 Posts
i been looking at getting a storker or supercharge my ram...i would also like to find out how well the prochager will do with my ram

·
Power Wagon #1605
16,089 Posts
i been looking at getting a storker or supercharge my ram...i would also like to find out how well the prochager will do with my ram
A procharger with a DSP would be killer. Ofcourse you would have to get a Sharadon Tune for the DSP

·
Smokin Them Tires....
670 Posts
around how much would i be making to the wheel....

·
Power Wagon #1605
16,089 Posts
Around 360rwhp stock and around 380rwhp with headers and exhaust. I have over 8000 miles on a 07 MegaCab using a Procharge and using their Q-Chip tuning. Electricmarquis is using the Procharger with Diablo tuning.
I would trust this guy^^^^

He took a sawzall to his truck, and made it a few feet longer :IDEA:

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Altered wheelbase?
Yes, longbed conversion so the wheelbase grew about 20.5" and the total length grew by 22.5" Its real hard to hook off the line with a 180" wheelbase and 2wd. I got -30cc Diamond 2618 forged pistons for that old school 360 build. Its a chevy piston 4.030 bore ( only 36 bucks extra to modify the valve reliefs) and Im using a Carrilo K1 crank 3.79 stroke (stock is 3.58) this will bump the cubes to 387 and the crank has chevy 2.1 rod journals so Im using K1 connecting rods 6.125 long with the chevy .927 pin

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Im willing to give any input you want for supercharging with Diablo. It beats the piggyback unit with aux injectors hands down. I have done a crap load of reading and research and have tried alot of different tunes to get mine right. Its not 100% by no means. I have it to the point where it wont blow up. Rich afr under boost and very conservative timing right now. If I took it to the peak with timing advance and maybe a leaner AFR, it would be around 380-400 rwhp. You have to remember this is a stock motor with the crappy pistons. Thats why I choose to run safe as possible and was happy with the 360rwhp I got.

I went with srt4 stock injectors(577cc's @ 58psi), srt4 MAP sensor, and Diablo. If you get the procharger kit, just buy the tuners kit and injectors/map/Diablo. Dont even bother with prochargers compete kit. I know it works great for Miradamegacab and a couple others but you will be buying a Diablo anyway to remove MDS if you have it. MDS does not work with boost.

When MDS kicks in the motor requires half as much air as was moving in there in the 1st place. That drops manifold vac so much that the surgevalve with close. Then your truck will try to make boost in MDS mode. Very anoying surge.

It took me 3 weeks of calls to Procharger to get them to admit that the setup does not work with MDS. Before that all I got was...."we ask you to not drive in that area of RPM to long periods".

After the number of calls to Lance, John, and Mike @Procharger. They said they will be releasing the RAM Hemi kit with Diablo, injectors, MAP, and tune later in the year 2009. I could not wait that long, I just said screw it and did it myself.

I was not happy with the boost purchase until I went CMR tune route.

I have tons of info with this setup, feel free to ask anything. I have done my homework. PM, forum, email, or AIM. Look @ my signature.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I talked with Dave at Procharger about tuning with Diablo vs iEMS3. They really want to go with Diablo for the canned tune with the Ford 39 lb injectors for their complete kit, but are really interested to see what we come up with our iEMS3.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
There looking at cost. They have used Diablo for a long time. Diablo sells them hand unit cheap because of the bulk purchases. They are making sure there kits will keep a lower cost to sell more. Im sure the iEMS3 is a better choice, but if that raises the kit cost another 500-800 bucks then people might go Vortech.

I have spoke to john over there and told him what I did for my kit. They were well aware that my setup from them did not work correctly. They said when there kit with tuning/injectors etc was available and the tune was right, they want to see my file. They will have fun figuring out the partial throttle trans operation to make the trucks daily drivability better. After they figure that out or some other CMR guys do, Ill jump onto that part of my CMR tune. Thats what Im laking right now. Its causing me to run low timing on 93 oct while crusing which is killing my MPG. I will get KR while in OD because of high engine load. OD just holds way to long. It would actually get better MPG staying in 4th till around 45+mph if giving light gas.

Just out of curiosity redss454,

Which kit did you look at that comes with Diablo/injectors now?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yes, longbed conversion so the wheelbase grew about 20.5" and the total length grew by 22.5" Its real hard to hook off the line with a 180" wheelbase and 2wd. I got -30cc Diamond 2618 forged pistons for that old school 360 build. Its a chevy piston 4.030 bore ( only 36 bucks extra to modify the valve reliefs) and Im using a Carrilo K1 crank 3.79 stroke (stock is 3.58) this will bump the cubes to 387 and the crank has chevy 2.1 rod journals so Im using K1 connecting rods 6.125 long with the chevy .927 pin
Looks like a great idea for a killer thread........

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Which kit did you look at that comes with Diablo/injectors now?
The kit from RPMOutlet. I am not sure whether it comes with the 8 injectors or the 2 supplemental ones (I'm hoping for 8 as I'd like to go that route), Fuel pump, DiabloSport Tuner, and the Procharger.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Mine did not require a fuel pump. I dont know what the fuel pressure is on 04's but I think 07's is like 57-59psi. My AFR is anywhere from 11.5:1-10.9:1 under boost right now and its pretty steady.

I have heard alot of....."stay away from RPMoutlet".

If you go this route. I know of two places that have killer prices on the procharger tuner kits. I can get a file to your CMR guy and he can generate a good starter file from it. Stay out of hard boost until everything is verified on a dyno. Buy the 50.00 3 year warranty as well. It comes with 3 oil changes as well.

You will need this:
1. Procharger tuner kit
2. injectors/MAP
3. Diablo
4. Wideband A/F gauge
5. Boost gauge

That should get you started. I like to have a KR gauge setup also. Im using the aeroforce gauge and I set the indicator leds to blink red when any KR condition over 3 degrees.

Red, do you live near mirada?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.