DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes, yes, yes.. i know.under the seat or behind the rear seat...

My amp wont fint under my seat without sticking out a bit and i dont want that and as for the behind the seat, how many trucks on here with a amp mounted behind the rear seat have the power rear window??

I just spent 3 hours dismantling my interior to be ready for my system to come in tomorrow.

I have the rear seats out and took of the padding in the back and started measureing to place my amp and i cant find a place large enough to mount it that I know it will clear the seat brackets and clear the rear window motor assembly.

my amp measures 16" x 12" and its 2" thick

How much clearance is there behind the rear seat and the wall when its in the upright position because I know its closest to the wall that way.

Also, how are you guys mounting your amps to that rear wall? double sided tape? sheet screws? ive got everything ready to go except this. and im stumped on where it will go if I cant mount it on the back wall.

·
Kyle
469 Posts
I dont have the power rear window, but mines on the floor.

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at putting mine there but my box is being custom made for alot more airspace in it and with my amp being 12" wide theres no way it will fit like that. the distance between the seat brackets is perfect but the depth from the rear wall is whats screwing me.

I think I found a place to mount it on the rear wall by a fraction of an inch. but how is everyone mounting them to the rear panel? If there was an air gap between the panels i would just use some zip screws but it feels like its a double panel to the exterior and I dont want to put holes in my cab. ;D

hey kyle is your box a double? or a single? i cant see the second sub but I cant tell.

·
Kyle
469 Posts
I was looking at putting mine there but my box is being custom made for alot more airspace in it and with my amp being 12" wide theres no way it will fit like that. the distance between the seat brackets is perfect but the depth from the rear wall is whats screwing me.

I think I found a place to mount it on the rear wall by a fraction of an inch. but how is everyone mounting them to the rear panel? If there was an air gap between the panels i would just use some zip screws but it feels like its a double panel to the exterior and I dont want to put holes in my cab. ;D

hey kyle is your box a double? or a single? i cant see the second sub but I cant tell.
Just 1 12". I listen to country mostly and rock too, it sounds pretty damn good. I'm very happy with the sound, also the box isnt ported.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Make sure the amp gets air flowing through the fins. It will overheat if you trap it to tight. Not sure how you will mount it on that back wall where the PW is. I dont feel that is a good spot. It would suck to burn up an amp because of overheating.

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea. but ive had an amp burn up before in open air and it was nowhere near its power limit.

Im starting to think Im gonna take out my front seats and run it under the driver seat. I can make a cover to protect it from water when the door is open on the side there and itll also be easier to run the wires to it.

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ill make sure and takes some pics tomorrow of how im running it and what im tapping into so anyone else can upgrade there systems fairly easily if they want to.

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whats going on man?

yep, i got to order all kinds of stuff for the truck. install starts tomorrow! :rck:

you should see the interior right now. only left inside is the front seats and the steering wheel. :D

·
T O P L E S S
812 Posts
Still will not fit under seat even if you were not putting your sub box there. I'm kind of in the same situation as you except that I do not want to put mine on the back wall. They will go under the seat but need to moved close to the front where I feel people may hit them with their feet.

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still will not fit under seat even if you were not putting your sub box there. I'm kind of in the same situation as you except that I do not want to put mine on the back wall. They will go under the seat but need to moved close to the front where I feel people may hit them with their feet.
Itll fit under the rear seat if you dont have the load flat floors installed. i took mine out today.

it would have to fit. my sub box is damn near 3" tall from the top of the storage thing. and it fits. tapers to 2.5" in the rear and thats still plenty of room for my 2" amp.

·
living life
6,909 Posts
whats going on man?

yep, i got to order all kinds of stuff for the truck. install starts tomorrow! :rck:

you should see the interior right now. only left inside is the front seats and the steering wheel. :D

Just living the dream man :tdwn:

I cant wait to see the truck when I get home go ahead and gab the keys from my wife and install me a sterio ;D

Have a good one man and keep us posted on the install!

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
I did this amp rack of sorts on a sheet of MDF and cut out the holes needed for the rear cabin vents and bottom seat belts mounts

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
If you're looking for a freakin' sweet ass project, Build the amp rack into the rear roof/headliner. It recesses up after you get past the dome light, and there's already extra space up there. It might end up below the dome light's x-axis, but it would be sweet looking.

Otherwise, there aren't many other places. There's the back wall, under the seats, a center console, or on top of your sub box. You might be able to hide them in the front seat's upper parts, but ventilation would be an issue. Then you could also go into the bed of the truck, but that's probably more work than the roof mount. False floors in the back with a thick plexi cover?

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
If you put them on the back wall, your seats will not go all the way up anymore. The underseat area will still be accessible, but not as easily as it was pre-amp rack. Keep the seat mounting brackets in mind. It's easy to forget about them when they're not in the truck. Under the front seats is the most accessible, but also the most dangerous that someone kicks your rcas or power wire. If you built a cover of some sort, you'd have to worry about ventilation. A hot amp could leave burn marks on the carpet, or start a fire. The back wall really is the best place if you're doing a 2 or 3 amp system. Much more space to lay everything out, including distribution blocks for power and ground wires, and out of the way of liquids, flying feet, and heavy objects. No fiberglassing required. Here's a pic of mine completed:

·
Registered
570 Posts
I like the false floor idea with the plexi. Thats custom

·
Registered
952 Posts
Here's mine, sorry for the crappy cell phone pics

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.