DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been looking to buy a Magnum for about a week now. I have been searching the threads and the internet. I know I want a 2005 SXT Model. I was wondering if you guys and gals have any other tips for me... how to negotiate a good deal? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Tell em you'll pay 100 bucks under invoice. walk when they say no... hurry back when they call you to come back.

enjoy your new ride, man.

·
Registered
332 Posts
This is a re-post from another forum.

Went to a dealer today and they have 8 RED Magnums (all RT's) just sitting there -- they can't move 'em! There was one cool vanilla as well and there was 3 of 'em that were AWD. ............. The sales guy I talked to said no one's even touching them -- and I thought red would be THE color to have on these cars. Just an observation....

I've seen the same situation at most local dealers here in So.Cal.

You should go to dodge.com and do a dealer search and then do an inventory search at each dealer in your zip code and then work out. Find dealers with a lot of inventory, drop the internet manager, which usually is the fleet manager, a low ball but reasonable offer. (make sure to copy your original message to your clipboard) Then go to the next dealer and drop the same message and then the next and then work your way out of your area and keep it up. It actually goes pretty fast.

I guarantee that, if you are persistant, you will find your car at your deal.
KK

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
The invoice price of most DCX vehicles is somewhere around 9 to 11% OFF of whatever the MSRP is. Most dealers will be willing to show you the invoice if you ask them to. A couple hundred bucks over invoice less all applicable rebates is generally a good deal, and anything below that is a great deal!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Your choice of the 2005, is a good call as far getting a good deal. As more 2006's roll onto their lots, they'll need to make room by unloading the poor orphan 05's that nobody wants. :bawl:
As time gones on, you should be able to get a steal. Good luck. Take no prisoners!

·
Registered
410 Posts
butweet said:
Your choice of the 2005, is a good call as far getting a good deal. As more 2006's roll onto their lots, they'll need to make room by unloading the poor orphan 05's that nobody wants. :bawl:
As time gones on, you should be able to get a steal. Good luck. Take no prisoners!
Ditto! If you are not in a hurry, you'll be able to pick one up cheaper as the 06's arrive.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Don't pay invoice, especially for an SXT. If you want to go with an '05 you should be able to get it for $500 - $1000 UNDER invoice PLUS incentives. I paid $1000 under invoice plus incentives for an R/T a week and a half ago, you should be able to get close to the same deal but since the MSRP is less maybe you'll only get $500 under.

I would recommend going onto the dodge.com website and hit the "check inventory" button. Then look at all the SXT's that the 5 star dealers have near you. Once you find the exact car you want use the site's contact form to tell the dealership that you are willing to pay $1000 under invoice for their stock number XXXX. See what they say. They will know that you know their stock and that you know exactly what you want. Unfortunately if you have smaller dealerships around who aren't 5 star certified you won't be able to view their inventory online and you'll have to call/visit them.

You can get the dealership to show you the invoice but you'll need to be firm.

Good luck, it's an awesome car.

·
Mineral Grey Metallic SXT
100 Posts
I agree with all of the above. Especially that of Grinner. The power play worked out marvelouly for me. I drove the car, picked the one I liked, let them tell me what they could do, told them what I wanted, they said no, I literally told them "well, call me when you find more money". They said well you call us when you find some to and maybe we can come to an agreement. I left, got a call from the dealer about 6 hours later. They'd met my deal. Oh happy day. It sure helps when you don't "have" to buy a car that day.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think that is the key. Make sure they know that you want the car and WILL make the deal if you get what you ask for. Make it equally clear that you will leave and never come back if they don't make the deal you want

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all

Thank you all for your great ideas! I really feel like I have some more ammo when it comes to dealing with negotiations. Thanks again and I will post hopefully Monday with the good news.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Oh yeah, The weekend is the time they are least likely to deal, especially if the weather is good. Best to go when the lot is emptier, especially if it is rainy. If the weather is good it's a great time to test drive though! With the end of the month coming up even if you don't close on the weekend I'm sure you'll get a great deal before the week is up.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
dantodd said:
Oh yeah, The weekend is the time they are least likely to deal, especially if the weather is good. Best to go when the lot is emptier, especially if it is rainy. If the weather is good it's a great time to test drive though! With the end of the month coming up even if you don't close on the weekend I'm sure you'll get a great deal before the week is up.
If it's a rainy Wednesday at the end of the month, you'll get a better deal!!! :thatfunny

(I used to be in the car business.......can you tell? :D )

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's my advice... wait until the Fall and order the 5-speed tranny with the 3.5L V6 in your SXT. I ordered one back in early April and DC cancelled it 2 weeks later (to ensure that all the 3.5L Chargers could be built with the limited supply of 5-speed trannys). Airfleet shows this combo as Job #1 (again!) this September.

DRUMLUGR

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well, I guess I'll see how true this all is. I went to three dealers today. The first ignored me, the second got to the salesman getting to the "if I do X you'll buy for sure?" point, right before his manager comes out to tell me how impossible that price is. The third dealership got to that point when I walked out. Why should I pay over invoice for an '05 when you have '06s on the lot? So we'll find out if they're willing to deal after a couple of hours waiting. It is nice not having to buy the car. My only problem is almost no one has the one I want, they all either have too many options or they're the wrong color. So everyone is talking about cars they have to get from somewhere else, which may be part of the problem.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm guessing that at least one of those dealers hit the computer to locate the car of your liking, as soon as you walked out the door. Possible? Give it a little time, and I'll bet they'll call you saying that they got lucky and found the car you want. You did leave your phone # with them, didn't you? Hang in there. (Might be a little early to get a real steal.) The 06's are just starting to roll in.

·
AWD is the right way
165 Posts
djc208 said:
Well, I guess I'll see how true this all is. I went to three dealers today. The first ignored me, the second got to the salesman getting to the "if I do X you'll buy for sure?" point, right before his manager comes out to tell me how impossible that price is. The third dealership got to that point when I walked out. Why should I pay over invoice for an '05 when you have '06s on the lot? So we'll find out if they're willing to deal after a couple of hours waiting. It is nice not having to buy the car. My only problem is almost no one has the one I want, they all either have too many options or they're the wrong color. So everyone is talking about cars they have to get from somewhere else, which may be part of the problem.
Here is a thought. Go on the dodge.com and use the dealer locater and then check the inventory and, hopefully, find the car you like. Go to edmunds.com and run the options through to find the invoice price. Then call the dealer with the right car and ask for the manager. Tell him you will buy the car you selected at the invoice price if he will have it ready to deliver in 4 hours.

You will be happy.

·
Registered
205 Posts
DJ,

What is your zip code and what car do you want?

If you aren't comfortable posting you can pm or email.

I'll look at some of the dealer inventories for your from the dodge website.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I was at the dealership last week and asked that very question. 05's on the lot still do and will hold the 7/70.
MattRobertson said:
A 2005 has the 7/70 warranty and the 2006 has the 3/36. I assume that includes 2005's still on the lot.

??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.