DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, let me start by saying if anyone reads through this and has experienced it or worked on a truck with something like this then thanks for any help/comments in advance! Sorry if I am long winded here, this is strange to me...

Truck stats: 04 ram 5.7L, 56K miles, NO mechanical issues as of late/ever and has never stalled even once in its life.

Today I am really low on gas (gas light is on) so I pull into a Hess station and fill up with premium. I leave the gas station, truck starts normally and I pull out and 15 seconds up the road there is a light I stop at and the truck stalls. Takes me several minutes trying to turn it over and it finally fires up and I drive away, get to the next light and it stalls again. It starts up again rather easily and I drive over into mall parking lot where it stalls a 3rd time. At this point, I'm thinking F I got a tank full of bad gas.

After a few minutes, I pour in some dry gas for the hell of it and let it sit. Start it up again and idles for a while then quits.
Few notes: When it quits it does not sputter at all and just shuts off like you turned the key off. While its running, if I give it throttle, it responds normally and doesn't sputter/hesitate at all. Finally, I pull out a stop watch on my phone and time it when I start it to when it quits. It would quit at 1:45-1:50 REPEATEDLY! Once it quits, I would turn the key and it starts right back up and runs for 1 minute 45 seconds and quits.

No longer seems like bad gas and really seems electrical somehow??

FINALLY, I decide to pull the PCM fuse and reset the computer. Get back in, start the truck and at 1 minute 45 seconds where it was stalling before does it one more time. 2nd time starting it up it hesitates/stumbles at 1 minute 45 seconds but keeps running! At that point I drove it around the parking lot and it didn't quit so I drove to my parents house carefully about 8-10 minutes away and it didn't quit....

WTF is going on!? haha, I have no idea but it seems to be running fine now but I don't want to be going 50 and have it quit/lose the accessories. :help:

Side note: I talked to owner of the Hess station and told them I will be calling them if my tank needs to be dropped and it is determined that something in the gas/tank caused this. But at this point, the truck wasn't acting like it just got 'bad gas' as you can see above.:SPIN:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Weak fuel pump maybe, or dirt/water in lines. When you fire up it fills the lines and filter because it runs for a few seconds before truck starts, and just can't keep up to the load due to pump issues or dirt in lines clogging them.
It could be water, since the tank was low. You may have caught a slug of h2o in the pump suction. When it shuts off, the water goes back into the tank. As soon as you move enough fuel through, you get water again at the injectors and it shuts down.
Since the truck is running, I'd say you moved the water though, are getting good gas and you should be good. Add some gasline antifreeze, which won't hurt, or dehydrator.
Also, if you're anal you could change the fuel filter. Cheap insurance

·
Ramistered User
6,419 Posts
It sounds like a PCM issue since there is no sputter. You tried the PCM fuse reset. Why not try to disconnect the battery cable for a hour or so and reset that way. It's worth a shot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had this same exact problem not long ago. Open up your fuse box and make sure they're all pushed in. A couple of my fuses had vibrated loose and caused this same problem.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think your fuel filter was was clogged due to sucking crap off the bottom of your empty tank and 1:45 is how long your truck will idle with the fuel in the fuel line, but the clogged filter wouldnt let enough fuel in to run the truck. I think you will be fine now, as either you sucked the crap through the filter, or whatever it was, is off/gone. You may have made your fuel pump work a little harder, but other than that I think you will be good!

This is why peeps shouldn't let their tanks get much below 1/4. I usually fill up at the 1/4 mark (which is around 10 gal's remaining in my 34 gal tank) to avoid this.

*****************ETHANOL WARNING****************

If you have Ethanol based fuel dont add any ethanol based treatments to your tank, there is already enough in it!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I think your fuel filter was was clogged due to sucking crap off the bottom of your empty tank and 1:45 is how long your truck will idle with the fuel in the fuel line, but the clogged filter wouldnt let enough fuel in to run the truck. I think you will be fine now, as either you sucked the crap through the filter, or whatever it was, is off/gone. You may have made your fuel pump work a little harder, but other than that I think you will be good!

This is why peeps shouldn't let their tanks get much below 1/4. I usually fill up at the 1/4 mark (which is around 10 gal's remaining in my 34 gal tank) to avoid this.

*****************ETHANOL WARNING****************

If you have Ethanol based fuel dont add any ethanol based treatments to your tank, there is already enough in it!
I want to mention that as well. I saw where you mentioned adding drygas and another poster suggested adding more. Don't. "IF" you are running E10 gas( 10% Ethanol )as most of us are, or E85, you do not need to and should not add drygas products. Not Isopropyl nor Methanol variety.

You already have gas with alcohol in it that will take care of any water. It is also in a higher concentration than you would have adding 2-3 bottles of drygas. If you ever get "bad" gas the only thing you should add to fuels with Ethanol is a fuel enzyme like Startron. That is a differtent product than drygas. Mostly a marine/small engine use product but can be used in cars as well.

E10/E85 + drygas = NO!

·
Thirsty
150 Posts
Do you always run the 93 Octane or is that a change from the normal?

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks alot guys, I think people here hit the nail on the head. My truck ran great today and seems to be fine. I agree about not letting the tank get down as well. I usually fill up when it gets close to 1/4 of a tank and figures I got busy/sidetracked all week and let it get way down. Thanks for the good help everyone.

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you always run the 93 Octane or is that a change from the normal?
No, I've been using 93 for awhile. We usually have 87/89/93 available here and with 89 I get alot of knock retard on the highway when my rpms are lower and engine load increases (slight hills and whatnot). I noticed when I get full tanks of 93 in that the knock retard almost fully goes away (I'm running superchips program on the truck).

·
Registered
630 Posts
Thanks alot guys, I think people here hit the nail on the head. My truck ran great today and seems to be fine. I agree about not letting the tank get down as well. I usually fill up when it gets close to 1/4 of a tank and figures I got busy/sidetracked all week and let it get way down. Thanks for the good help everyone.
Good, hope that it is cured. Please let us know if it comes back!:rck:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.