DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Ram 1500, I took a 1975 360 bored .040 over, srp pistons, comp cam and timing chain, 2.02-1.60 stainless vavles, and it's all internaly balanced. I used the timing chain cover off the 97 and has all the original brakets off the truck on the front of the motor. I put the MP M1 replacement intake on top with a 866 cfm TB. It's running with the stock injectors and pcm. It has a specter breather and pacesitter long tube headers with 3" pipe all the way out the back with 40 series flowmasters. I have a msd and coil wired through the pcm. The engine light is on and it's saying it's missing on all 8 holes, lol The cam maybe just a little big for the pcm at a idle. My problem is the pcm rev limiter is set for 5500 :( The cam is good till 6000 and would like to get rid of or just up the limiter to 6200. I have looked at the pcm chips, and MP pcms but none of them talk about the rev limiter. Which way should I go? I see you guy talking about the piggy back system and was woundering how everyone likes it and if it's worth the money. It runs realy weel now but I'm sure it could run better. Whats you'r opinons?

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
sct tunner is the way to go

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
i believe so the 97 model year is a pain due to the anti lock system we have im working with hemifever setting up a programmer for my 97 1500 im dropping in a 390 you can send him a pm to get the info and everything that can be done the sct can do more than any other setup out there

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info, i'm new here so as soon as I figure everything out I will have pics of my ride. It's a black extended cab that I picked up cheap. I put a set of dana 60s out of a 79 dodge under it with four link front and rear. I got rid of the springs and went with air bags. It has about a 8 inch lift under it. I also upgraded to the np205 t-case.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
1975 block doesnt have the mounting for the cps....how did you work around that ? if you used LA heads they dont have provisions for magnum ac/alt bracket...if you used mag heads with the LA block how did you deal with that ? stock pcm doesnt have a rev limiter set at 5500 so you pcm must have some sort of tune on it...:dunno:wait i duno...do u

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am a machinist, for the cps I made up blocks to weld on the back of the block. I used LA heads and made a 1/4 inch plate to go on the head for the ps pump and milled a 1/4 inch off the bracket, the holes that are there line up but is missing one. So the plate suports the bracket. The idelar I made a plate for it also and cut the bracked and welded it to it. I used the replacement single plane intake for the 97, the holes lines up but for the magnum the holes are straight up and down and the LA heads go in on a angle. The front two hole you have to make up block and weld to the intake, they I just machined the holes out and put washers on the bolts.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
alot of fab up for a LA....you can use a dual sync dizzy or fab up a mount....with a DS no more cps or cam sensor....tuned with sct....no need for a piggy back managment with sct.....let's see some pic's

·
Banned
177 Posts
why mess with FI if you were using the non-magnum line of v8? There are so many speed parts for the old style LA v8s and could have went to a much more friendly diy tunable setup. From the point of view I have ... I am lost.... I mean the custom made parts to fit questionable magnum performance stuff is kinda like ... why? what casting LA heads are you running? why not start to a 401ci block? why not use a single plane intake designed for the LA v8 and drill out the bosses for FI ... if you have a hard on for the FI?

It just seems like it would be less busy work to use parts that work better together.

I have seen jeepers run obd-II from rams on LA style blocks but never with the hodgepodge of parts... I would like to know more... might give me some ideas .... there must be some up sides.

post some pics! and good luck!

b

man i hope this is not a troll post! as i want to see his bag setup too!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
you will like the sct .you should have alot more power with the sct and a nice tune to make the motor run right :) get a video of it ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I origanaly built the motor for a 75 ramcharger back in 99. I bought the heads from Areo. They have all the goodies in them, and the decks has been touched off. When I bought this truck the only thing wrong with it was the head gaskets. When I looked at it I knew there was more to it when I looked at the oil pan and it was well venelated. So I got the truck cheap. I decided to use this motor other wise I would have had to start all over. It didn't take that much time or efort to make the intake work. It would of been alot more work to make a LA style intake work with the FI. That and the Stock AC would not have fit. Everythig bolted into place, and I could use the stock sensors. If I need to get anything I can go to most part stores and they have it, some of the aftermarket stuff you have to use special sensors and suck. That and I like to have things differnt then everybody else, makes people wonder. lol The motor runs great, if I take it easy with it I can get about 11.5 miles per gallon, if I play it drops of corse but I didn't do it to save gas. It was carburated before and it ran good, just not this good. The carb would load the motor up on steep angles, I live in Muskegon MI. and Silver Lake Sand Dunes is only 20 min. away. So I play in big sandbox through out the summer.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
sounds sweet cant wait for the pics

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I now have some pics posted in my gallery. Let me know what you guys think, I still have some work to do but it's comming.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
i might have a performance mopar pcm for a 96 5.9 with a high rev limit over 6k. if i tire of tuning to it i'll send it your way for a price?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So whats the price, but I'm not sure it it will work on my 97. That and is like the stock ones, does it have the security in it, where you have to enter the vin into it?

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
hey tweek have you gotten my PM?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.