DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at security systems online. Alot of people are suggesting the Viper brand. I have not been into stereo/security systems for awhile. Back in the day you would buy an alarm that had "proximity" sensors to do partial chirps when people got closer.

Do they call this "field disturbance" now or something?

If anyone knows about the Viper system and how all the modules work I would like the input. Here is what im looking for.....

1. system with ability to alert a pager
2. proximity alarm

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
The only brand I have ever owned is the Clifford system but you can't go wrong with any of the systems from DEI.

http://www.directed.com/

:)

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I have the Viper #771 with the pager and it thing that is a great alarm system. The proximity alarm I know the one that you are talking about and I having seen those in awhile but like dmcelhannon said if you go with any that have the DEI you want go wrong. There are alot of alarm that are out there with so many features but if you stay with the one that's have the DEI system you will do well.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Ive got the Clifford 50.7x which is the same as the Viper 5901. Its a 2way long range system with remote start and build-in shock sensor. It is an excellent alarm. You can add other sensors to it like the motion or proxi sensor and I would buy them on ebay as you can get them new and very cheap.Both the Clifford and Viper as well as a few others are all made by DEI.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Another vote for Clifford

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How hard are the installs, because on ebay they are about 50-65% cheaper than bestbuy.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
I did my own and it took the weekend. I think I needed 4 additional SPDT (30/40) relays. One was for the done circuit, one was for the starter interrupt and 2 were for the locks. The remote starter relays and parking light relays are built-in on mine. A lot of the other Qs you will have along the way will likely be already answered over on www.the12volt.com. You also will need some resistors but you can get them at RadioShack.

BTW, I just bought a second 504C (DEI dual shock sensor) on Ebay for $10 shipped. Its BNIB also.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a Python 990....and I love it. Two way remote/pager, remote start, shock sensors, etc, etc...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I went ahead and ordered online. I bought a Viper system with the proximity sensor and the interface module for my truck. The total came out to around 200.00. About 1/4 of the quoted prices installed from a couple local shops. I just do the install myself. I cant belive the price difference from the cheapest Viper to the most expensive one is only 100.00 online. The sensors are about 50-60% cheaper.

Anybody have pics on locations for the brain/siren etc.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Anybody have pics on locations for the brain/siren etc.
The main control module (brain) for my Clifford is tucked way-up behind the dash. That way no one can mess with it without pulling part of the dash. The screamer is mounted to the firewall beside the brake booster. The open part of the siren is facing down to keep dirt and water for collecting inside. I thought about adding a second siren and placing it behind the dash with the brain module but the siren is so loud, I decided not to. If for no other reason than Mom is the one that sets the system off the most. I'd hate to do that to her.

:D

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
What model Viper did you get?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1002 with proximity and interface. Decided aginst the 2-way. I sleep within 60ft of the truck and I will hear the siren. When they broke into my truck I didnt hear a thing.

I found the top of the line one for 170.00.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
On mines also which I probadly will never need it I got the backup battery.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whats the deal with viper install manuals. Its like they wont give them to you unless your a dealer. I found there vehicle database online, you have to be a dealer to use it.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
well u saved a ton buying it online.... if u dont wanna mess with the hassle... why not get someone to install it for you...... i was charged 125$ at a tint shop to install my viper alarm.... while they tinted my windows

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to call around. I have been meaning to get my windows tinted as well.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
Let me know what you figure out on this as I might just copy you!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I should take pics during the install on wire locations etc then. I might go see if one of the bestbuy dudes will give me copies of the install pics/diagrams from DEI site for some side money. Im sure those guys making 9-13 an hour would do it.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
im going to try and install my newer viper alarm(Viper 5701) to control my door popper kit.....
im also going to be taken alot of pictures of it being installed...

but please take alot of pics and videos... :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.