Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEWS

The Impartial Services Group has been retained by DaimlerChrysler to act as the point for all aggrieved 2.7L engine owners who have had a failure.

In talking to the gentleman who contacted me, he stated they are gathering owner names and contact information from one source only: the Center for Auto Safety (CAS).

Therefore, if you are part of this 2.7L group and have had a failure or problem due to the oil sludge debacle, it is imperative that you register an official complaint with the CAS! That is the ONLY mechanism by which you will be able to seek remedy.

No other submissions via consumer websites or organizations will be used; only the CAS' entries.

Be prepared to document your position, substantiate all correspondences, communications and have receipts, estimates, et al all ready to put together. I am wrapping up about a 20-page package for submission and will keep you posted as to settlement!!

Mods: could you please sticky this in the interest of the 2.7L owners? I know there's a lot of related threads, but this is vital info. Thanks in advance!

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Consider this stuck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have been contacted for the same peolpe (The Impartial Services Group)
my car did the same, (oil light flickerin) but they said i was just a wire, he changed but i think eventually is going to fail

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My package was submitted to them, complete with a chronological narrative, review of facts, 6 different estimates, all pertinent receipts, documentation of oil changes, etc and I'm waiting to hear back.

Today they contacted me to request my original bill of sale for the car, and then they'll make a settlement offer. Should be interesting what % they come back with, and whether or not there are conditions.

I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BOOYAH!

I received a settlement offer from ISG on behalf of DaimlerChrysler, counteroffered, and it was accepted. Not the full amount, but pretty damn close.

I can live with it.

Standard hold harmless agreement conditions apply. So I'm moving on from this debacle, satisfied in some sense that at least D-C is owning up to the problem.

Advice for any other 2.7L owners--put your package together well. There are numerous criteria upon which the compensation offer is based, but how and to what degree you state your case is one of them. In this regard, I was able to negotiate from some position of strength if only because of having done so...and they upped the offer by almost a grand in turn.

Good luck to everyone out there. I'm still never buying another D-C product, but at least have a few bucks in my pocket to mitigate the financial burden it caused.

·
Registered
4 Posts
would You like to tell where I can register ??

I would like to register too.I have Dodge Intrepid 2001 2.7 V6 and have a problem, tell me please where I can register my engine failure??
Thank You
Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an 03 with the 2.7 & recently started having an oil light flicker issue & have no idea whats causing it. Im a bit more worried about it now after reading this thread. Is this flicker an early indication ? Whats my next step ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I read the first entry, stating who you had to contact. Read the first entry...

·
2.7 Trauma Surgeon
963 Posts
The oil light flicker right now seems to be a separate problem from the major engine failures. The flicker is repairable with a new oil pressure sending unit and harness pigtail. If this does not repair the oil light flicker (it does repair it 90% of the time) then a mechanical pressure test is required on the engine. If the engine fails the mechanical oil pressure test then the oil light was correct and major engine repairs are required.

I absolutely recommend getting as much money from Chrysler as possible to assist in repairing a failed 2.7, however, I do not recommend installing another 2.7. I have been dealing with failed 2.7s for almost 3 years now, and am starting to get reports of even the new "re-designed" 2.7's in the Dodge Magnum and 300 vehicles failing in a very similar way that they did in the Intrepids, Sebring/Stratus', and Concorde vehicles.

The best thing to do if you want to keep the car is get a 3.2 or 3.5 engine for it. There are several threads here about this. There is also a wealth of information on the internet pertaining to the 2.7- 3.2/3.5 swap. Just google it.

If you must replace your 2.7 with a 2.7 (as all unfortunate Sebring/Stratus owners must do), get a Jasper remanufactured unit. Jasper is the only company to my knowledge that has successfully updated the 2.7 engine to prevent it from blowing. However, it is very expensive to install a Jasper, $4000 +, so the cheapest route is to convert to a used 3.2/3.5 engine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm the 3rd owner of the car so I only have records of what I've done to it since I bought i...am I out of luck if the engine fails?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2.7L updated block and heads

9832Intrepid said:
If you must replace your 2.7 with a 2.7 (as all unfortunate Sebring/Stratus owners must do), get a Jasper remanufactured unit. Jasper is the only company to my knowledge that has successfully updated the 2.7 engine to prevent it from blowing. However, it is very expensive to install a Jasper, $4000 +, so the cheapest route is to convert to a used 3.2/3.5 engine.

I own a small rebuilding shop in Holiday Florida and I have been messing with the 2.7's for quite a few years now. I have also been able to successfully update the block and heads like Jasper has and I have a set price of $2400 installed for any 2.7L I build. There are other options out there... just FYI. One other thing is that if you have the 2.7L in the LH platform (98-04 Intrepid or Concorde) one extremely good mod is to add the factory engine oil cooler (if it is not there already)... the extra plug in the block behind the oil sender gets clogged with sludge being a dead end passage... open that up by giving it a place to flow to and it helps a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.