DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Hemi 4x4/Challenger T/A
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy another set of tires for the Ram.
Although I like the handling of the stock Goodyear HPs, the tread life stinks for the price.
Interested in hearing from folks who have used the Coopers.
No, I'm not interested in any all-terrain tires, oversized tires or any of that jazz. I'm replacing stock 275/60/20s with more 275/60/20s and I will stick with the "street"/all-season type tread of the HPs.
Would love a set of Michelin LTX, but dayum they're proud of those.
Input?

1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? Ferris?
Nobody has run anything other than the Goodyears?

· You've been Hijacked
15,407 Posts
I have cooper zeon xst's on my 22's, so far I like them but don't even have 3,000 miles on them yet. Definitely perform better in the rain. Snow I'm skeptical about.

1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate your opinion, but Cooper doesn't make that tire in the stock 20" size apparently.
Has anyone out there run the Cooper Discoverer HT Plus?

· You've been Hijacked
15,407 Posts
oops...sorry didn't even look to see if they were available in stock size. In general cooper makes good tires, so I would think the the discoverer HT Plus can't be any worse then the Goodyear Wrangler HP's. Sorry I can't be of any more help

1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again. At least you answered my post. ;)
Hard to believe nobody in DT runs these tires.

· muddauber5.7
158 Posts
Look up the Cooper Zeon Ltz's on Discounttire.com. I have them in the 275/60/20 size and love them so far only have had on for about 2000 miles though. Their aggressive all-terrains and look similar to Nitto terra grapplers but much cheaper price. I bought mine for 687.00 mounted and balanced when they were offering 100.00 off 4 tires. I've driven them in the rain, on snow covered roads in northern Michigan this past weekend and in loose sand, and I was very impressed over the Goodyear hp's.

· Respect My Hemi
248 Posts
Hey, I do I do, I've got Cooper Discoverer HT+ in the stock size.

I've got about 13000 miles on them and they still look new. They are quiet, handle good and give a smooth ride. Our truck spends most of it's time pulling our 6000lb travel trailer and the tires seem up to the work load. The tread pattern is pretty nice looking (as far as tires go) and come with plenty of siping.

In wet weather I haven't had any scary sliding or hydro-planing problems, but I can break the rear tires loose when accelerating away from a stop if I give it a little extra gas. Surprisingly, I can feel a little tire spin when I give a little extra leaving a stop in the rain with the trailer in tow.

In the snow, in 2wd, the Hemi power and light rear end is no match for the tires, I can drift all day long. Put it in 4wd though and the truck behaves very civilized. It accelerates very smoothly with good grip, and holds the line in the corners. I suspect it has more to do with the 4wd system than the tires, but still, it's like night and day once you twist that knob on the dash.

My truck, being a TRX4, came with 17" wheels and Goodyear Wranger ATS (?). I didn't like these tires much, squirmy on the road, noisy, easy to spin in the dry, forget the rain.

I have Michelin LTX M/S on my Suzuki XL7, great tires and looked into them for the Ram. At the time they ran close to $300 a tire where I got the Coopers from Discount Tire for $173 a piece.

Besides price, one of my other concerns was a good tire for towing. The oem Goodyear HP are P tires, car tires with soft sidewalls for better ride. LT tires are truck tires, stiffer sidewall, better for the heavier loads, but worsen the ride, decrease mpg and tend to cost more. The Coopers are an XL tire, somewhere between a P and LT tire, so a little stiffer to better handle more load, but not too stiff, so ride is still good.

Beside the wheel spin in the rain, I can say that I'm very satisfied with these tires, especially for the price.

1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent! Just what I was looking for, thanks much for replying.
Yeah, I'd love to have a set of Michelins, but as you say I'd have
a hard time justifying their price.
If the Coopers last longer and stay quiet/round, I'll slap a set on
and give them a whirl.
Thanks again!

· Registered
553 Posts
Uncle Mo,

I put a set of the Michelin LTX M/S's on my 2007 Hemi a couple of days ago. To think about: 1) You get what you pay for. 2) The Michelins last a long time. I had a set on my 2003 Hemi and had 54,000 miles on them when I traded the truck. The guy who bought my truck made it through a winter and spring with these high mileage tires.

Tom :cool:

1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stinger1-
How do you like them compared to the Goodyears? How long have you had them? Any problems so far?

tguil-
How much did they set you back? I've never questioned the Michelins, loved them on anything I ever put them on, but $250 a whack is silly.

· Registered
2020 RAM Power Wagon, 2007 Dodge RAM 1500, 2011 Jeep JKU
189 Posts
Hey guys, I just picked up a new RAM on Friday, and it has the 20" Goodyear Wrangler HTs on it.

What kind of mileage are you getting out of a set? From looking at Tirerack, they are about $160/ea. My dealer offers Tires for life, so long as I rotate them ever 6000 miles, of course they charge $40 each time. so my cost over 40,000 miles is $280, so I can save ~$400, if I use the same tires.

Are they worth it? not too bad a deal if they are an OK tire. 4 tires for $280

· Registered
1,352 Posts
i think i payed about 120 each installed, they ride nice and there 1'' taller than the stock goodyear i had on the 04 ram. no issues yet but only have about 2000mi on them. but what sold me was price and the (E) rating for towing.

1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
06psd4me said:
Hey guys, I just picked up a new RAM on Friday, and it has the 20" Goodyear Wrangler HTs on it.

What kind of mileage are you getting out of a set? From looking at Tirerack, they are about $160/ea. My dealer offers Tires for life, so long as I rotate them ever 6000 miles, of course they charge $40 each time. so my cost over 40,000 miles is $280, so I can save ~$400, if I use the same tires.

Are they worth it? not too bad a deal if they are an OK tire. 4 tires for $280
I'm only managing to get 35k out of a set of the Goodyears.
Their treadwear rating of 340 ain't lying. :D

· Registered
553 Posts
Uncle Mo,

I paid a little over $1000 for my set of Michelins. Yep, they are pricey, but they last a long time. Also I think that they have about the best tread pattern for general highway use --very good traction on wet pavement and ice and snow. I don't like being pulled out if ditches. :D

Tom :cool:

· Registered
2020 RAM Power Wagon, 2007 Dodge RAM 1500, 2011 Jeep JKU
189 Posts
moparedtn said:
I'm only managing to get 35k out of a set of the Goodyears.
Their treadwear rating of 340 ain't lying. :D

But are you HAPPY with the way they ride and perform? Like I said above, I do not have to pay for them, so are the 4 tires, even if they only last 35-40,000 mile worth ~$300?

1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
07HEMI4ME said:
But are you HAPPY with the way they ride and perform? Like I said above, I do not have to pay for them, so are the 4 tires, even if they only last 35-40,000 mile worth ~$300?
Well, if they only cost $300, maybe.
They don't, of course. Best I've seen on the 20" Goodyear HPs is around $141 each and I wind up buying a set every friggin year, so no, they aren't worth the money.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.