DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 1500 with the 5.9....I have a K&N Gen II Intake, Airraid tbs, Mopar performance heads, Jba shorty headers, High flow cat, Flowmaster 40 series and a hypertech power programmer. Am I better off getting a cam, throttle body, or ignition system of some kind. I can't afford to do all at once but would like any suggestions. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got this from a guy at comp cams.....

INTAKE MASTER 3303B
EXHAUST MASTER 3307B
ENGINE CRS XR265R-14
GRIND NUMBER CRS XR265R-14
INT EXH
HYDRAULIC Y/N YES DUR @.050 216 224
INTAKE EXHAUST LOBE LIFT .3170 .3170
VALVE ADJUSTMENT HYD HYD ROCKER RATIO .00 .00
MAX GROSS VALVE LIFT .506 .506
DUR @ .006 TAPPET LIFT 265 273 LOBE SEPARATI 114.0
ADVANCE 4
VALVE TIMING OPEN CLOSE
.006 INT 23 62
EXH 75 18
THESE SPECS ARE FOR CAM(S) INSTALLED
110.0 INTAKE CENTERLINE

My problem is I know nothing about cams and this is greek to me.

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
As soon as you get into changing a cam, expect to change a lot of parts with it for it to work right. Parts have to work together and putting in a mid level cam like that one means a lot of new parts to compliment it. Otherwise could hurt performance.

Minimum
Need to add 525 lift springs, retainers probably good idea to get some guide plates and treated pushrods. If hi mileage, lifters as well.
52tb, M1/2bbl intake manifold, 2800stall torque convertor and probably need gears depending on what you have (3.90 min/4.10 better). Last thing is your tune, need an sct tuner to get run a decent cam/m1 combo.

Ditch the tb spacer, not helping at all.
Also, be sure to check compression across all cylinders before thinking about serious internal upgrades

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
I have a 1999 1500 with the 5.9....I have a K&N Gen II Intake, Airraid tbs, Mopar performance heads, Jba shorty headers, High flow cat, Flowmaster 40 series and a hypertech power programmer. Am I better off getting a cam, throttle body, or ignition system of some kind. I can't afford to do all at once but would like any suggestions. :D
Ditch the throttle body spacer and throw on a 52mm TB (Fastman or other). It's one of the better bang for the buck mods you can do and you don't have to tear apart the engine. If you decide to go with a cam, I'd get a BG custom tune to make sure you get maximum benefit from your mods. http://www.bgperformancepcm.com/

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
:thatfunny

Go for a 52mm TB, then M1 intake, 1.7 roller rockers, ignition, and then a SCT tuner by Hemifever. Those things added to your current list (minus the TB spacer) should put a nice wide smile on your face....until you see the bill for new rear tires. ;)

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
:thatfunny x2
Add in tranny upgrades if you do upgrade the engine internals, wont last long ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the help. I just had the tranny rebuilt last July at 165,000 miles. I was told when they did the rebuild it would handle up to 450hp at the fly wheel. Is there a shift kit anyone recommends?

·
Registered
725 Posts
What heads do you have. I would not go with the M1 unless you have a stroker. Go with the Hughes intake. Intake has to come off to do the cam, might as well kill two birds with one stone. The cam you listed comp 20-746-9 is what I ordered. I have the M1 and comp 20-744-9. I got a Airgap manifold and I will post pictures when it's done. Pretty much like a hughes but the throttle body adapter is blended and welded on the manifold to make it one piece. Also it will be dynoed again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the MP heads part#P5007145. They came fully loaded so all you had to do is mount them to the block. They are cast iron so i am not sure if you can get these style anymore. They may only come in aluminum.

I don't have a stroker yet.....kinda need more $$$$$

What is the difference in the two cams? I would be really interested to see your results when you are done. If you don't mind sharing.

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
I would not go with the M1 unless you have a stroker. Go with the Hughes intake.
Not to derail the thread, but any reason why you wouldn't recommend the M1 to a non-stroked 5.2/5.9 (5.9 especially)? I have seen many mixed reviews about it. Some say you loose low end, others say you don't. I always like to get another point of view.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is a good point. Is it something that is going to hurt performance? Or if you add a 52mm throttle body would a M1 be a good compliment without losing your low end torque? (with mods already done to my truck)

·
Registered
100 Posts
the i didn't loose any lowend usually comes from dakota guys, the much heavier ram usually you will feel a loss unless you have a higher stall converter to make up for it. if you break into your engine and put a cam and heads you will want gears and converter.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have the MP heads part#P5007145. They came fully loaded so all you had to do is mount them to the block. They are cast iron so i am not sure if you can get these style anymore. They may only come in aluminum.

I don't have a stroker yet.....kinda need more $$$$$

What is the difference in the two cams? I would be really interested to see your results when you are done. If you don't mind sharing.
You have the R/T heads those are good. Difference between the cams is duration and lift. If you search my posts I already dynoed it once. Don't buy the M1.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but any reason why you wouldn't recommend the M1 to a non-stroked 5.2/5.9 (5.9 especially)? I have seen many mixed reviews about it. Some say you loose low end, others say you don't. I always like to get another point of view.
The torque peak comes in at 3900 RPM. Way to high for a heavy truck. With a stroker engine it will make up for the losses caused by the intake. Get the hughes intake it's less money than buying the Mopar intake and installation kit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just looked at your dyno results....not bad for the mods. I am probably going to do the cam and intake first then in a month or less get the tb. It will be alittle while before I can afford the tune and Dyno. Thanks again.

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
Small cam, the m1 will hurt trq in a Ram, with a good sized cam though it is needed IMHO. Gears and stall are a must with cam and m1

You have the R/T heads those are good. Difference between the cams is duration and lift. If you search my posts I already dynoed it once. Don't buy the M1.
You made [email protected]; [email protected]?
With all the mods in your sig?
Was that a mustangdyno or dynojet?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Small cam, the m1 will hurt trq in a Ram, with a good sized cam though it is needed IMHO. Gears and stall are a must with cam and m1

You made [email protected]; [email protected]?
With all the mods in your sig?
Was that a mustangdyno or dynojet?
I'm not sure, it was on two dynos. All the mods were done. The numbers aren't impressive. Alot of power was lost because of auto trans, transfer case, 4.56 gears, and 35 inch tires. I also passed smog test with that cam no problems. Here is were it was dynoed www.dcperformance.com

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
Sorry to jack the thread but

How much those 35s hanging out?
That 224x dynojet you were on has a max roller width of 81". I couldnt do pulls with my slicks on same dyno cause they hang out a bit (4.5"bs w/12.5" slicks) and would of rubbed. Sure your tires werent rubbing on the drum stationary side plates?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.