DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys been a while since I've been in the seat of a truck. I work at a car auction and we just got this in:

1997 ram 3500 4x4 5spd. 180,000 MI. Obviously I can't ask the previous owner about it but here's what I know:

-flat bed and front bumper
-new upgraded clutch
-air bags in the rear
-fox remote reservoir shocks
-some type of lift
- intake/exhaust
-standard 3 gauges
-new starter
-PSC front stabilizer

Now my questions.. The stabilizer has what looks like a blue high pressure hose running into the body of it, why? It has a bright blue cylinder on the inside of the brake booster, is this a hydro boost? If so are the stock ones blue or is it upgraded? From what I can tell a line from the blue cylinder runs to the steering stabilizer. Is there any way to check if the KDP repair has been done?

Overall the truck seems mechanically sound. I had an auction mechanic look at it. Engine runs greats, minimal if any blow by. Clutch I believe is upgraded because of how stiff it is. All the gears shift through smooth, the tcase shifts fine, only issue is an ABS light and airbag light on, and a few electrical issues in the dash(is has an aftermarket digital speedo/odo. Is there anything else I should check on it? I'm going to get pictures of all the aftermarket parts tomorrow. I'm gonna be able to pick it up for around $3, 000. Seems worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Looks like a swinging deal to me.
I don't know about the blue hose deal.
Hopefully MadMike will shed some light on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grabbed some pictures today.

Blue cylinder next to brake booster.* Hydro assist? Is that the stock cylinder or upgraded?

Steering stabilizer.* Notice the blue hose going into the top.* Any ideas?

Front lift setup.* Got a guess at what kind? Haven't seen the yellow/gold shock mount towers before

Airbags in the rear

Any advice,* thoughts,* opinions,* part identification etc would be helpful!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
As Clunk says looks like a swinging deal alright!

... "stabilizer"?/cylinder (PSC brand) appears to have 2 lines, might be a steering assist; or maybe you right and it is a stabilizer (following both blue? lines may tell you more); might be this one (one of the "more views" windows has extended/retracted dimensions)

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motorsport-specific-products/offroad/cylinder-assist-gears-kits-components/1-5-x-8-assist-cylinder.html

... More cyls

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motorsport-specific-products/offroad/cylinder-assist-gears-kits-components?cat=465&p=3

... Awesome, it "appears" to have adjustable trac-bar and drop? bracket, and "steering brace/stabilizer"; besides other vendors, these 2 items are also listed in the PSC site.

... PSC also "might" give you an idea about hydro boost (4 pages, did not see anything blue)

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motorsport-specific-products/offroad/reservoirs-overflow-bottles?p=2

...Blocks between rear leafs and axle appear very tall and may cause or have caused axle wrap (and/or prior damage); DK what rear driveline it has, but would carefully inspect t-case and slip yokes housings for breakage/cracks, and/or steady brg and slip joint in case they've been pushed forward and damaged, or twisted/bent male splines if rear diff moved rearward when under heavy load.
..Likely raise cain with u-joints too dislodging cup/s a bit resulting in cross having end play.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
Where does the line on the stabilizer actually go? It could very well be a steering assist. These trucks did come with factory hydro though.

That truck, like mine, probably doesn't have ABS. That light could mean the master cylinder is weak, or air in the lines. Mine comes on when it's cold, or if get air in the lines.

Measure the rear blocks, factory were 4.75" tall. But with stock power, you shouldn't have any axle wrap problems.

For 3k, I'd buy it and flip it for 8-10 up north if the body is clean.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The stabilizer actually has two lines going into it, and both go back up to the steering gear box. Ran the Vin in a decoder and it's saying it does have ABS but I'm not sure if that's true. Rear block is 4.75" so it's stock, although someone on another forum is saying it has aftermarket rear leaf Springs. After crawling under it it appears to also have a steering box sector shaft brace and heavy duty track bar.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
That's a steering assist then.

To check for ABS, look for sensors at the hubs.

It looks like it's an addaleaf in there.

Those steering braces are awesome. Never get rid of it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the steering assist utilize the stock gearbox or does it have to be replaced?

I agree about the add a leaf. The u bolts look new.

Not planning on taking anything off, only add to it lol.

Also found out it started life as a dually

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pulled the Vin explosion at work today and it listed it as a DRW.

I'll have to get underneath it and look at how the gear box is set up. Couldn't really tell if it was the stock one tapped or not

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.