DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
RamRoddin'
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to pickup a used 3rd gen Dak around 12grand as a daily work driver to keep miles and wear off my hemi.
What engine would you suggest if my primary concerns are mostly highway miles and light bed hauling (lumber etc)?
Hows the mileage on the 4.7's vs. the v6's (in your own opinions i can see the manufacturers claims but i trust you guys more)? How do you like the automatics vs the manuals? I can drive a manual with no problems so feel free to suggest the best performer for a tranny.
Any gear suggestions? Any features or options i should steer clear of or make sure i get?
Thanks alot guys n girls much appreciated, if i left out any info ya need to make a suggestion just ask.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
def go with the 4.7L its the best bang for your buck. as for gears look for 3.92's cause they are a good middle gear to be running since the 3.55's like what i have can be dissapointing at times. as for trans you might as well go for the automatic for a daily driver plus its easyer to do burnouts with if you were inclined to do so. also if you just want a 2wd you can make it into a mean street fighter if you wanted to or you could go with 4wd so you can go any where year round.

·
RamRoddin'
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool thanks. Thats what i was inclined to figure but ya never know what kinda quirks a model might have so i figured id ask the pros (you guys).
But ya its mainly going to be a highway driver and light hauler for daily work too keep miles and wear off my 5.7 like i mentioned.
So im lookin for a 4.7 - 3.92 - 4x4 automatic as of right now. Might be tough to find the 3.92's but we'll see.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
yes, get the 4.7. The gas mileage is the same no matter what engine.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
if your willing to put money in it you could find a 3.55 truck and put 4.10's and limited slips in. just a thought. but i would deff look for a limited slip even if its just has a 3.55 ( thats what i have ) if its limited slip i would get it. also something to look for would actualy be a 97 to 99 2nd gen cause it has a 5.5" suspension lift avalible for it. plus then you could have a 5.2L/318 and could do alot more in terms of mods to than the 4.7 but over all i like mine cause i get about 21 to 23 mpg on the hwy due to my mods and 3.55 gears which isnt bad for a quad cab 4x4.

·
"Joe the Bummer"
325 Posts
If you want a Manual test drive them first. Even though i've never driven a 6-sp manual in any chrysler products, i've checked them out at auto shows and it doesn't seem as smooth as the 5-spd's. Plus in the Ram 3rd gen. forums you can see some are complaning about the shifting in the new 6-spd's (07-08).

·
Registered
634 Posts
on the summer gas I get about 17.8 per gallon in a hilly area, about a third the time going 60, a third the time 67 mph, and part of it going 45 to 55, that's QC 4x4 3.92s HO engine, auto, 265/70/16s. I want to know how it would be easier to do burnouts with an auto truck, not that I care cause I don't do them, but with torque management?? I ussually don't floor from a stop, but it just barely spins and goes, with the sure grip

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
well the torque management is a big issue to get around but there is a way to do it. but i mostly just mean that is easyer to do it in general due to the fact that there is one less pedal to deal with. ( i forgot to take the torque management into account when i said that ) but i too have a sure grip and can get a little burn out going but now that ive tried that i regret it cause there is no telling what the t-man system caused me to do to my trans while attempting that.

·
RamRoddin'
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i wont really be doing any rod style mods or racing or tricks with this truck. Just daily work and occasional hauling and any budget minded mods that'd help in those areas.
Thanks guys.

·
USAF MOPAR MILITARY BRAT
3,441 Posts
Buy my 03...$12,500...10,600 some miles! Info in classifides.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
no prob. as for budget i would look at makeing a cai for it and getting a cat back exhaust those should help quite a bit and make it sound realy nice.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
12.5K for an 03? Good luck with that, no matter what the mileage.

·
USAF MOPAR MILITARY BRAT
3,441 Posts
Well then tell me how much I ought to the F*&^ING thing for!

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
AP I didn't mean that to offend you, I'm just saying it will be very hard to get that much for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.