DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a truck. I like the 99-00 ram best in my price range. I wanna spend less than 12k if possible. The one I am looking at is a 1500 4x4, QC, 5.2 auto. its has 52k miles (carfax verified). I like to buy used vechicles pay cash and drive them for a long time. If I buy this ram I wanna use it as a daily driver for a couple of years then keep it for a work/farm truck after that. I will probably put 175-200k miles on it longterm.

I will be towing some with it, and will offroad it a lot. I am a little hard on my 4x4's. The jeep cherokee I am going to trade in has 130k miles and and a few dents from offroading around here.

This tranny issue kind of worries me, it seems like a lot of people are having major problems with these trannies. I would not mind a 5 speed but they seem to be rare. The last thing I want to do is buy a truck and six months later spend $2,000-3,000 on a tranny.

Any advice on this would be appreciated?

Also does the 2500 (gas) have the same tranny issues? Would I be better off to pay some extra and get a 3/4 ton model? I really can't afford the diesel though.

Thanks

·
pressurevac
179 Posts
3/4 tons are the same issue, The 46re just wasnt built that well from factory, but to extend their life dramatically, simply throw on a good tranny cooler to keep it from overheating as that is the main issue with these!

Welcome to the site!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tranny cooler, ok. is there a certain one that people on here prefer?

I was hoping the 3/4 ton had something more heavy duty tranny wise. If people in a 1500 have problems it looks like the 2500 would have even more issues with the extra weight they tow, and heavier duty usage the trucks are designed for.

Anything else to watch out for on a 99.

·
Registered
75 Posts
the tranny is the weak point of these trucks for sure, the rest of the drivetrain (and truck for that matter) are solid as a rock. Tranny cooler and a good shift kit help alot only if the trans is in good shape in the first place. **** luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.