DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that theres a torque difference, just not sure which is which. what else is different too?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
If you can get long tubes get long tubes.
Shorties will give you less tq and less hp than long tubes.
Collectors will give you more tq,and shorties dont have much for collectors.
Pacestters have really nice collectors.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hows the rpm range effected?

·
Registered
299 Posts
If your keeping your motor relatively stock shorties will be fine. It will keep the torque down low and keep your low end. If your do a cam or heads, long tubes are the way to go. It's all what you want in performance wise.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
..pretty much any type of aftermarket header (shortys, mids, lt's) will be an improvement over stock...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I heard that if you ever want to go FI stay with long tubes. Short tubes with boost tend to backfire on occasion.

Just what I hear anyway.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I heard that if you ever want to go FI stay with long tubes. Short tubes with boost tend to backfire on occasion.

Just what I hear anyway.
I think you may have the long tube/short tube headers and backfires confused with long spark plug wires vs short plug wires and boost. With shorties and boost you'll get backfires for sure. I learned the hard way. One of the boosted trucks we built still retains it's stock exhaust manifold's without any issues.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so lt's seem to be the way to go if im gonna be spray 100 horses into it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I think you may have the long tube/short tube headers and backfires confused with long spark plug wires vs short plug wires and boost. With shorties and boost you'll get backfires for sure. I learned the hard way. One of the boosted trucks we built still retains it's stock exhaust manifold's without any issues.
Maybe I do.

Im running my stock manifolds right now with 6lbs boost. Seem to run fine. I have a TTI cermic long tube set and y-pipe/cats sitting in my basement. I need to re-install them or sell them. 1500.00 just sitting there. I even have the wideband bungs already in there. LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,791 Posts
Long tubes all the way. Like I was saying in your other thread, just longtubes and Superchips gave me a 35rwhp/41rwtq gain. I went from 272hp/310rwtq with just a cold air intake to 307rwhp/351rwtq with the addition of longtubes and superchips. You wont be dissapointed.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That link explains alot, good find. Looks like long tubes give more power at low, and high end, but not in the middle of the power band. Wonder why that is? curious to see what mids would do?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ya would be interesting to show the mids too, wish they had a base-line showing the stockers on there as well

·
Banned
463 Posts
looks like to me there really isn't much difference on that torque dyno sheet.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
looks like to me there really isn't much difference on that torque dyno sheet.
The difference on a modified motor would be huge.
Since like the article says the shorties cannot scavenge the exhaust gasses out like long tubes can.
Then get a tuned and the difference would be night and day.
The problem with most headers being put on guys trucks is that they have done nothing to the rest of the exhaust to keep the velocity of the exhaust gasses moving through the system.

If your going to do headers,you have to do y-pipe,high flow cats,or cat deletes,and a muffler setup that will flow at least 600cfm.
Guys running flowmaster exhaust in almost all cases will show a
loss of power,because not only are they not a free flowing muffler,but they also do not have the flow capacity for our motors.

For a free flowing exhaust you need about 2.0 cfm per bhp for a free flowing exhaust.
So if you have a 300hp motor,you need 2.0cfm x300hp=600 cfm.
That is what you would need for a good flowing muffer at a minimum for our trucks,or if your running duals you would need 2- 300cfm mufflers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.