DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 5.9 runs great and it not showing any check engine light. However, if the engine is cold it will want to crank for about 10-20 seconds sometimes before it starts. Now, if I crank it for just a second, and then turn off the key and then recrank it starts normally. It also starts normally if it has run for any length of time and I shut it off and then start it within about 20-30 mins.

Any thoughts on possible problems that could cause that issue? :help:

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
could be fuel pump. if you are able to crank it over once and then turn key off and back on (which cycles the fuel pump) then i would be looking at a fuel related problem.

·
grounded
308 Posts
Fuel Pump. no quesions asked. alot of other guys have had the same problem as did i for about a year and a half. what happens is after it sits for that 30 mins or longer it loses all pressure at rail and then it builds back up with the cranking. took m about an hour to change with an extra set of hands and a jack. i also drove my truck untill it was almost empty so i didnt have to drain tank. some guys say it is easier to take off box but i figured i would try it by droping it. sarge

·
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you think it is a fuel pump? Sounds like you are probably right, I was think maybe an injector leaking down, but the fuel pump seems more logical to me. Now to find a good cheap replacement.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I totally understand how it could be the fuel pump but I don't understand why the truck would run fine after it was started if the fuel pump was going bad??

I am not questioning anyone, I just don't want to drop $250 or more for a pump and it not be the problem. Is there anyother way of checking?? The spot on the fuel rail that allows you to bleed down the fuel line pressure, can this be used to install some type of pressure gauge to see if it is really bleeding down after it sits for a while??

·
Registered
266 Posts
The test is to put a pressure gauge on your injector rail shrader valve connector and watch the pressure bleed down over night. The problem is not the fuel pump itself-but the check valve in the pump. HOWEVER-must replace the pump which has the check valve inside to fix. Check valve not sold separately, its part of the pump. Other fuel related problem can be injectors leaking down, but very rare compared to the fuel pump prob. and truck would probably run like crap with check engine lite from 02 sensors reporting rich condition. I like to remove, meaning loosen and prop up, the bed on these trucks, its easier. You are gonna need some help to lift it and MAKE SURE it doesn't fall on you while you are working on the pump. Its heavier than it looks. Shop a little for a pump-you can beat $250. HTH

·
Registered
36 Posts
fuel pressure leak down

Hi, I have got the same problem with my 97 5.2. After reading the posts I looked it up in my factory manual. For 97 models you can T in a 0-60 psi gauge at the rail. Normal press. with the truck running is 49.2 psi +- 5 psi and after turning engine off pressure should not fall below 30 psi for five minutes.

As suggested in early posts a leaking injector or one of two check valves, one in the filter/regulator or one in the pump.

You can pinch the line off on each side of the guage to determine if its a injector or pump/regulator. It also says a quick loss of pressure usually indicates a bad check vale in the filter/regulator and a slower leak the pump. It also says some models, the filter regulator can be replaced separately.Good Luck

·
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found one at Advance Auto for $69.99, has anyone used the Python Injection EFI Pump before? The price seems to good to be true. Part number is 748584.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Doesn't sound right to me--can't look at it, but if it goes in the tank and is not one of those "oh yeah, it bypasses the pump in the tank and installs in the fuel line outside of the tank" maybe its the deal. Stick with a pump with a good warranty, cause it means the builder believes in it, its a bitch to have to redo the install if the new pump fails. I'm thinking $150 to 180 for a good replacement pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.