DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
When starting my Truck I am experiencing a long crank time before it fires.
This only occurs if the truck sits for about an hour or so.
I have replaced the Throttle Position Sensor, plugs and the Fuel pump myself.
After doing so I am still experiencing this issue
I've taken to 2 different mechanics and they can't figure it out.
I made an appointment with Dodge (ugh) for Tuesday.
In the meantime have anyone experienced a similar issue?
Any ideas? What else can I try?

Any assistance would be much appreciated!
 

·
Serenity
Joined
·
5,947 Posts
You may want to list the specs of your truck. I have not heard of anything in particular, but others might. Year, engine, trannie, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Point. Sorry new to Dodge Talk.
My truck is a 2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab. 4.7, all stock :-(
 

·
Serenity
Joined
·
5,947 Posts
flxn4u said:
Good Point. Sorry new to Dodge Talk.
My truck is a 2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab. 4.7, all stock :-(
No worries, we are all here to help if we can. Is this a reasonably new truck for you, or have you had it for a while and this is just a recent problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have owned the truck for 3 years now. Forgot to add that it is a 4x4 with approximately 94k on the clock. I have been experiencing this issue for a little over a month now. This is really the first and only issue I have had with the truck.
Nobody can seem to figure it out.I am going to have to bite the bullet and send it off to the Dodge Dealer. (yikes)
 

·
Member
Joined
·
15,912 Posts
Since you have recently replaced the plugs, check them to see if there is any that are fouled. Check fuel pressure, you might have a fuel delivery issue. Other than that, I cannot think of anything else that you have not already checked or changed that could be the problem. Do you have any codes? You can do the key dance on-off on-off on..will display codes and then the word done when it has displayed all of the codes. If you only get the word done, then you do not have any codes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JeffB - all plugs are good. I too am thinking its a fuel pressure issue. The fuel pressure reg. is part of the fuel pump, same with the fuel filter. I have replaced the fuel pump.
As for the codes I have a scan tool and used the old key method as well.
No Codes.
I am at a loss. Guess I will have to wait and see if the Dodge Dealer can fix it.
Can't wait for that bill. haha

Thanks for all or you assistance. It is much appreciated!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
852 Posts
flxn4u said:
Guys,
When starting my Truck I am experiencing a long crank time before it fires.
This only occurs if the truck sits for about an hour or so.
I have replaced the Throttle Position Sensor, plugs and the Fuel pump myself.
After doing so I am still experiencing this issue
I've taken to 2 different mechanics and they can't figure it out.
I made an appointment with Dodge (ugh) for Tuesday.
In the meantime have anyone experienced a similar issue?
Any ideas? What else can I try?

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

My brother had the exact same issue. His was a leaking fuel injector. It was the same symptoms you have. His is a 2001 Durango, and when he shut the truck off, the injector stayed open. Therefore causing unwelcome amounts of fuel into the cylinder. And it too up to 20 seconds of crank at times to fire.

Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,617 Posts
I have a question...is the crank time the same or is it normal if you were to shut the truck off then start it back up again right away? If it is normal, then it is most likely a fuel pressure problem. If it still takes a long time to start then I would say ignition is the cultrate.

One last thought, make sure that the air filter is not plugged.
 

·
Serenity
Joined
·
5,947 Posts
MegaCabMan said:
I have a question...is the crank time the same or is it normal if you were to shut the truck off then start it back up again right away? If it is normal, then it is most likely a fuel pressure problem. If it still takes a long time to start then I would say ignition is the cultrate.

One last thought, make sure that the air filter is not plugged.
He said it only happens if he lets it sit for about an hour. The 4.7L has individual coils for each plug, so if one or more was faulty, I would think that it would not run very well at all. That leaky fuel injector that pyrokid mentioned is interesting. Anyone know if it is very difficult to remove the injectors and inspect them on the 4.7L? I would not be surprised if one of them started to fail at 94K miles on a 5-6 year old truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,617 Posts
He did say that!!! I just didn't read it. OOPS.

Yea, it’s very likely the injectors.

Try this,

Cycle the key on (not start) and listen for the fuel pump to shut off. The do it again. This should pressurize the fuel rail. Turn the key off then start the truck. I bet it starts right up. If so it is most likely a pressure problem and you have at least one leaky injector.

Just checked Autozone and it looks like injectors are about $80 bucks a pop so you’ll probably only want to replace the ones that are leaking.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
15,912 Posts
If you have leaky injectors, let me know. I kept the injectors and coil packs from an engine swap I had to do this summer. The injectors have about 60,000 miles on them, but they were working when I took them out. We could work something out if you need a few or even one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
Joined
·
4,295 Posts
maybe a battery
 

·
Clinically Certified
Joined
·
735 Posts
Does the 4.7 have a fuel pump relay? Typically if they are at fault then you have extended crank time until oil pressure builds up. The oil pressure will bypass the relay.
Just my 2 cents worth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
pyrokid said:
My brother had the exact same issue. His was a leaking fuel injector. It was the same symptoms you have. His is a 2001 Durango, and when he shut the truck off, the injector stayed open. Therefore causing unwelcome amounts of fuel into the cylinder. And it too up to 20 seconds of crank at times to fire.

Hope this helps.


That's what I'm thinking, but you should have seen some sign of
that on your plugs when you changed them.

Having the dealer diagnose it has got to be cheap compaired to
what you've done so far though. I just replaced the fuel pump on
my daughters Satern, and it ran close to $300. and two hours of
my time.

I'd like to hear what you find out because I've been wondering
about the life expectancy of my injectors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow! Thanks so much for all of your help.
Sorry for not getting back sooner. Long day at work.
The injector issue is very interesting. I had someone else mention the same thing.JeffB2002 thanks for the offer. I may have to take you up on it.
I am going to check it out this weekend. I will let you know.
To answer the question as to if waiting for the fuel pump to prime before starting, this does not remedy the cranking issue either.
I really am thinking its one of the injectors.
I will pull the plugs and check for excess gas on them. (Thanks Texomatom)

I will update this thread to let you know what I find out.

Thanks again!! You all provided very useful information!!
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top