DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading about how some guys have a switch on an auto to manualy lock up the convertor. Just wondering if anyone has done this before, and how is it done... What wires do you tap into and so on.

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, and thats a neat toy. But i have herd of people just tapping into a wire/wires somewhere and installing a switch so you can manualy lock up when you want. I have been looking and looking but yet to find something on this yet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i couldn't find that page

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry about that, it is called tst products.com. I have one on my 95 dodge 2500 and it works great going over those moutains with a heavy load.

·
Registered
190 Posts
that is for a 94-95

·
Registered
190 Posts
sorry scrolled down to quick

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Here's the link to the TST article, http://www.tstproducts.com/Torque Converter Lockup Switch.pdf

Remove the trans relay, and install a jumper as shown.

Find the orange/black wire (B11) on the middle PCM plug, and install a 3 position switch, as shown.

The only difference with the '94-'95 trucks, is you don't need to add a jumper.

I haven't done this mod yet, but plan to soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
will it make the tranny get hot

·
Registered
190 Posts
what would be the reason you would want to force unlock the convertor?

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, when the converter is locked up it actually helps cool the tranny, but the egt's go up. Well i would use it cause i pull a trailer over 50% of the time, and in the city people like to drive slower than bout 35 mph. Thats when my converter locks in. So i would like to be able to hold it in 2nd and have the converter locked. Just makesure you unlock it when you try to stop, otherwise you wil kill ur motor, kinda like when you stall a manual is the way i see it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
thanks for the info

·
Registered
740 Posts
When the switch is off will the trans operate normally or will the converter never lock up? If not could you leave the relay in and install the ground switch on B11 so it would operate normal in the off position and positive lock in the on? I think I saw somewhere where you could wire in a 3-way switch to do this. I want to try the lockup switch but don't want to use it all the time. I think I could figure it out on my own but was hoping someone could save me some time/trouble. Thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i don't notice any difference when the switch is off from before i did it

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The point is to be able to lock the converter at lower speeds, like it second gear. You shouldn't notice a difference in power or anything.

·
Registered
190 Posts
no hp increase. regans5 asked if it would operate the same with out the relay

·
Registered
190 Posts
yes it does

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.