DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hunting in a remote area in NW Montana. I pulled off the road to hike up a hill to an area that I knew held critters. When I got back and tried to pull out I was stuck. Shifted in to four high, but that only got me back enough to put two wheels in the air. Now there was no forward or backward progress. Given the locker engagement time in the past I was not hopeful. I shifted into four low, and flipped the locker switch, and the swaybar disconnect button. To my complete surprise the rear locked within seconds. I eased forward just a bit turning the wheel – the front locker engaged. I put it into reverse and on two to three wheels pulled out of the collapsed ditch. My passenger was amazed. I tried to suppress my surprise at the lock times, but was pretty surprised myself inside. I don’t know why or how they locked so quickly, but damn was I glad. The swaybar never did disconnect, but I was back on the road without pulling winch cable. Lockers are a fine thing, and even better when they work when needed.

-=-
BH

· Code Red
2,694 Posts
It's probably a similar phenomenon to my lockers going right in on slick mud. I think because one or more tires can spin that whatever alignment it needs to be in to engage is achieved through some minor spin. The manual says not to spin the tires when engaging the lockers, but I've had good success with very light throttle in the mud where one or more wheels turn while the others are stationary.

· Registered
819 Posts
Leif nailed it! A little wheel slippage is just what you need to get the the axels line up and the locker engaged. The manual says not to do this b/c they dont want some dumbass slamming the gas and having the locker engage at 4k rpm. However, as mentioned LIGHT throttle, just enough to slip the tires has worked everytime for me. (I just realized how great this works a few weeks ago.)

I don't know what to tell you about the smart bar, mine always disengages quickly, it is the re-engagment that takes a little work. Flexing the truck a little to re-alighn the two halves of the sway bar usually does the trick.

Glad you were able to crawl out...its a beautiful thing having a winch, and even better not needing it. ;) (atleast for your own truck)

I plan on changing my diff fluids with synthetic soon, and then I think my locker engagment troubles will be over, and I will be ENTIRLEY happy with my truck. I also plan on changing the tranny and T-case fluid well I'm down there, and painting the diff covers red before they go back on :D

· Registered
198 Posts
I'm headed out to the Mojave desert tomorrow so I "exercised" my lockers today and to my surprise they engaged fairly quickly with minimal steering wheel turning. I am really tired of getting ribbed by my friends about my "unlockers", "smart lockers" (they know you don't really need them), "wish they would lockers", getting called "Blinky", and generally catching S*** for the slow lock time. They will eventually lock up, but frequently it is too late.
However, all my embarrassment is soon lost in a haze of beer and cigar smoke once we get where we are going.

· Code Red
2,694 Posts
Rock on.. I'm planning to do that (change the diff fluid) next weekend. I've got all the stuff, just gotta find the time. I'm also going to blackout my 3rd brake light.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a cummins truck and I am looking to get a power wagon locker for my front end. I am getting the sense that these lockers take a long time to lock? Is this true? Should I just go with an ARB and forget the TracRite?

· Code Red
2,694 Posts
I don't know whether it's the locker or its implementation in the PWs. I'm thinking it's more of the latter.

· Registered
4 Posts
Here's another question. Does anyone know where I can pick up a TracRite EL? I've been looking online and I haven't found anything. I figure if someone would know it would be a power wagon owner, so any ideas?

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know where you can pick up the electrical locker. You wouldn't go wrong on the ARB though, they are very reliable and strong. Installation in a bit of a PIA, but nothing someone who is comfortable setting gears can't accomplish.

-=-
BH

· Registered
4 Posts
How much can I expect to pay to have someone install an ARB? I can probably do the plumbing bit I'm not sure I have the tools to set gears and backlash. I also don't really want to experiment with my vehicle. My buddy's maybe... ;)

· Same Name, Different Game
9,800 Posts
Sounds like it worked great for you taxidea.

Good to see another Montana user on DT. There isn't many of us.

· 2013 Laramie Power Wagon
2,028 Posts
Same experience for me last snow season when I got stuck going up hill on a very tight right hand turn and started sliding to the right. Engaged the front and rear and within seconds they were in and I pulled out. Not without damage tho, the passenger side rear slid into a railroad track that was vertical in the ground acting as a post/guide rail of sorts.

That'd be it right there...

ldgregory said:
...I think because one or more tires can spin that whatever alignment it needs to be in to engage is achieved through some minor spin...

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A good shop is going to ding you pretty hard for the ARB if you have them do the compressor and plumbing too. If you can do that part yourself before hand and just have them finish up installing the locker and setting your gears I would be willing to bet you would cut your bill 40%. The whole setup, done well, will take them most of a day. I don't know what folks charge for shop time in your area, but when I lived in Utah an ARB install in a single axle by a reputable shop was in the $700 range. Throw in the cost of the compressor and locker, misc parts, and you are in to it 2K. YMMV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.