DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped to do a good deed on a county road today when I saw a farmers cows grazing along the highway. I didn't bother to shut the truck off and was gone for 2-3 minutes tops. When I returned to head home, the truck was locked up solid with the keys still in the ignition, motor running.

Of course I was 20 miles from home and had to have the farmer drive me home and back out with the extra set of keys to unlock and drive home.

How did the truck lock the doors on itself? There is no way I accidently hit the door lock upon exit, since when I opened the door with the extra set of keys I couldn't lock or unlock the door with the door open.

Do I need a tech or a priest????................... :D

·
I'm Broke..
3,614 Posts
This has happened to me about 3 times I think. Luckily I wasn't to far from home. I have know idea what causes it. I went to walmart and had a key made for the doors and I carry it in my wallet just in case.

·
Sleeper in The Making
1,696 Posts
Dennis Gardner said:
Do I need a tech or a priest????................... :D
:thatfunny

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume the autolock feature is speed sensitive and the Hemi is a great engine, so I guess the truck thinks it is going 15mph while sitting still. ;)

I'm now weary about those upcoming winter driveway warmups.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Call me crazy, but everytime I get out of my vehicle while its running, I rolldown my window. I have locked myself out of my truck only once, ever since then I always roll down the window. Even when I just get gas and so forth, prevents situations like this one. :)

KB

·
Banned
26 Posts
KB112 said:
Call me crazy, but everytime I get out of my vehicle while its running, I rolldown my window. I have locked myself out of my truck only once, ever since then I always roll down the window. Even when I just get gas and so forth, prevents situations like this one. :)

KB
that's exactly what i do too kenny. hehe
but the door shouldn't lock on it's own if the truck was already running and you stepped out. really weird.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Challenger00 said:
that's exactly what i do too kenny. hehe
but the door shouldn't lock on it's own if the truck was already running and you stepped out. really weird.
Mechanic here thats the 1st thing I do when I drive a vehicle into stall

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
This has happened to me twice. I am not sure why it does it, but if you close the driver's side door, sometimes it will lock all of them, other times it won't.

·
Banned
26 Posts
all i know for sure is if you started your truck with the doors closed then yes the truck will eventually lock its doors. if the door was open upon starting then the doors Won't lock. what's strange is his truck was already running and then he opened his door but yet it still locks. very weird. unless he made the mistake of not telling us something which i think is the case here....

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
A really good idea is to buy one of those magnetic key holders and put an extra key inside then stick it up under your truck, such as in the frame rail or someplace hidden.

Attachments

·
Time Burner
210 Posts
I keep my key and key fob on a seperating key ring. This way I can leave the truck running with the doors locked and have the key fob on me to unlock it. I have locked myself out only once. And that was 1 too many times for my taste.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Challenger00 said:
all i know for sure is if you started your truck with the doors closed then yes the truck will eventually lock its doors. if the door was open upon starting then the doors Won't lock. what's strange is his truck was already running and then he opened his door but yet it still locks. very weird. unless he made the mistake of not telling us something which i think is the case here....
Is that true? Hadn't heard that before... and hadn't heard of how this would have happened.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I'm guessing there's a timing in programming somewhere. Similar to when the doors lock after reaching 10-15 mph. I'm willing to wager on that. I know you said 2-3 minutes, maybe it was a little more than that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've locked my keys in the car a number of times over the last 30 years, I've just never had a car that took care of doing it for me.

On a positive note:

I do have to say that it is fortunate that the key fob works while the truck is running since on all GM cars I have owned, the fob would not have opened the doors with the car locked and running and the previous owner screwed up the driver's (only) key hole lock before I bought the truck. I would have been sh*t outta luck. I was planning on breaking the sliding rear window.

·
:D Hello!!!
3,401 Posts
Wow, I know if the truck is not running but the key is in ignition even in the off position you can not lock the doors with the power door lock!

·
Brake Clean Fanatic
22 Posts
i have a key hidden on my pickup at all times. and roll down window when i get out to do things such as that, like what others said.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.