DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to just go with a block heater instead of tank style, but assumed that it goes in the most convenient freeze plug-- the one right in the middle front (3.8L engine, 01 T&C). Well, now that I removed the freeze plug there, I found out that it won't fit because there's not enough clearance inside the block at that location.

So would someone that has one of these please take a look at your engine and tell me which freeze plug it's installed in?

I'd hate to have to install two new freeze plugs!

:help:

· Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, so it should have been obvious, or so it always seems when you figure something out. The freeze plug on the back of the engine driver's side protrudes out to provide extra space for the block heater. At first glance it looks like it's buried behind a metal coolant pipe, but no, it's easily popped out and the heater fits right in.

So for anyone that ever wonders, it does NOT go in the center front freeze plug hole, requiring the removal of the starter and it does NOT go in the one on the passenger side rear-- even though that also looks like a deceptively appropriate place to put it. I'm still wondering how to install a new plug in that location though, but I can confirm, for anyone that ever wants to know that (1) when you pull the drain plug on one side of the block it does NOT drain the antifreeze out of the other side of the block and (2) ethylene glycol, although a deadly poison, is indeed very sweet and yummy-- even the long life stuff from Chrysler.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.