DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
No pump, they are self contained leveling shocks...kind of "passive" even in that they only actually pump up or level by being actuated or used, ie driving and bouncing around a bit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hehe, somebody's messin with yawls heads man. No driveshaft impeller, though I like the idea :)
Completely self contained unit. If you replace one, there are no hoses to reconnect to an external pump. Also means that the car has to bounce a bit to make it work...don't expect to sit back and watch the car rise when loaded heavily, like some them old Caddy's would.

Granted, this is what I've read. I've never actually crawled up under mine to see.
What would be interesting to note is if bouncing the rear in place upon loading heavily would be enough to level it out or if it would take a little more, like driving.
And then does it have to bounce some more when unloaded to lower back down -- seems as though it would have to. Hmmm.
Anybody with some spare cinder blocks lying around wanna check this out?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's a bit from their website:

===============================
General Description

The Sachs Nivomat is a compact device for vehicle level control, containing all necessary system elements (supporting element, pump, accumulator, reservoir, regulator, etc.) in one housing. The Nivomat is installed instead of a conventional shock absorber, spring shock absorber or spring strut and automatically establishes the optimum vehicle level under all load conditions.

The Nivomat also takes over the spring and damping function. The installation of the Nivomat is usually carried out at the rear axle of a vehicle.

The specific characteristic of the Nivomat level control system lies in the fact that the energy necessary for adjusting the optimum height level is generated by the relative movements between the axle and the vehicle body arising from road irregularities while driving.

This means that – in contrast to other systems – the Nivomat operates without any pollution since it does not need any external energy supply.

Depending on road conditions, a vehicle with maximum payload reaches its normal ride-height after just a few hundred meters. As soon as the vehicle begins to move, the increasing power of the Nivomat (which comes from increased pressure) is used to elevate the vehicle body to a constant level. In this way, optimal driving performance is achieved.

In the vehicle, the Nivomat takes on the functions of a load-sensitive spring and a shock absorber.
=======================================

·
Registered
164 Posts
I can tell you for sure that they are self contained shocks. No pumps or compressors. I know because the dealer told me that I could drop my Magnum with the leveling system it would just need recalibrating. WRONG! The dealer had to totally swap out the shocks for the stock R/T shocks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.